What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 wings

dick seiders

Well Known Member
Ok I just finished riveting left wing ribs , rear spar, and stub spar. Then I find this note about lp4-4 on 1208 spar angles vs attach angles which are lp4-3.
Sure isn't clear to me why the lp4-4 callout with minimal difference in length requirements for riveting these parts, Further the main rib with 1210 dblr attached specifically calls for lp4-3 on riveting to spar angle.
Help me out here,what is the correct call out? Am I looking at removing all the lp4-3's?
Thanks
Dick

Dick, I put in the wrong rivets, then drilled them out and put in the right ones. Later I talked to Van's and they would have advised me to leave it rather than drill out and elongate the holes. So if I were you I would call them first and seek their input. Scott

Ok I just finished riveting left wing ribs , rear spar, and stub spar. Then I find this note about lp4-4 on 1208 spar angles vs attach angles which are lp4-3.
Sure isn't clear to me why the lp4-4 callout with minimal difference in length requirements for riveting these parts, Further the main rib with 1210 dblr attached specifically calls for lp4-3 on riveting to spar angle.
Help me out here,what is the correct call out? Am I looking at removing all the lp4-3's?
Thanks
Dick

Dick... IF you need to remove pop rivets, consider practicing using a spring punch ground to drive in the mandrel before drilling with a _#31_ drill for a 1/8 inch pop rivet and consider providing some backing when punching out the remaining rivet.

Thanks guys. I figured it out. Did not put in wrong rivets. Just did not put them in. So today I added the lp4-4's where the nose ribs join the main spar via the aft bent angle. The part I overlooked is when instructions say rivet MAIN ribs to angles and spar they really mean rivet the NOSE rib aft angle to the spar with lp4-4's as well as riveting the nose ribs to the attach angles using lp4-3's. Not that clear at first glance. The key is "rivet to attach angle and spar" . I overlooked the distinction of "to spar" Refering to nose ribs as main ribs made it a bit confusing, but alls well that ends well.
Thanks for yor responses.
Dick Seiders

Back