What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Wing End Cap Size Reduction ??

JohnF

Well Known Member
I want to order my RV-12 tail kit this week so Van gets it before prices go up, but I have one big concern that you folks that already have your wing kits can help me with if you would be so kind:

Here's my problem: my hanger was built for my RV6A so it has only a 27-ft opening between the door posts at each side of the entrance. The 26-9 wing span of the Rv-12 looks like I'd only have about 1.5" of clear when putting the plane in/out...too close for comfort...the door posts cannot be modified because of the bi-fold door design.

Is it possible that the wing end caps (or whatever they are called) could be cut down so as to gain about two inches of effective wing span reduction on each wing?

As an alternative I was thinking of some sort of appliance dollies on casters so I could slide the plane in/out more or less sideways or at an angle to clear the wing tips, and straighten the plane out after the wing tips are safely past the door posts...there's additional room in the hangar beyond the door posts where the plane would clear them.

Can you help?

Removable wings ...

Don't cut down any wing caps, tips or ends ... whatever you want to call them!! :confused: Spend about 4 minutes and just slip OFF the wings and put them on a wing rack with coasters and then roll both the fuselage and then the wings into your 27' hanger ... figure you'll have about a 23' clearance. :D :D

Clip of removable wings ...

Narrow Door

Just turn as you are going in. Ask Stein about moving a farm swather through a narrow gate!
Used to put my Grumman through a narrow door.
Easier than removing wings...

Is it possible that the wing end caps (or whatever they are called) could be cut down so as to gain about two inches of effective wing span reduction on each wing?

John,
The RV-12 doesn't have the type of wing tips that are traditionally found on other RV's. Both the main and rear spars carry through the wing tip to form part of the structure for the wing tip. Consequently, any attempt to "cut down" the wing tips would involve cutting and splicing the main and rear spar. :eek: Personally, I would take Jerry's advice and utilize the removable wing option.:p

Bruce

Make a scale drawing of the hangar entrance and a scale cutout plane. I think you'll find that angling it in (as suggested) will work just fine.

L.Adamson ---- RV6A

Thank you for the suggestions and information. Of course removing the wing(s) would be best, but I am pretty much alone at the airport...others have quit or have medical problems and sold out .. the removal seems to be a two person job, but perhaps some cradle on casters or somesuch might work. I will try that idea of scale drawing to see what might be possible. I have pretty much decided to go ahead and order the tail kit and keep thinking about the access problem...I have lots of time because until my medical seems questionable the RV6A will be the 'mother ship' anyway, and it will be sold (practically given away) to pay for the final stuff for the RV-12.

Thanks again for the help.

Clearance

I found a large convex mirror on each side so you can clearly see how close you are might help. Saves steps. Just another ides.

John Bender
Iowa

All of the above PLUS...

If you intend to license as E-LSA, no modifications are allowed.

Back