What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 12 Weather Considerations

How are all you flying 12 pilots/owners keeping rain and wet weather out of your aircraft on the ground and in the air, standing and moving? Looking for techniques to keep the insides dry when parked outside on trips, both in the cockpit, as well as, in the engine compartment and tail cone. Any and all suggestions are helpful!!! Thanks very much for all you inputs in advance!!!

DBR

Here's a few - -

You must use seals around the front of the canopy, and along the sides if you plan to fly in rain. On the ground, the canopy cover is best. I don't feel the tail or other areas are of concern. Lots of ways for any water to get out, unless you have sealed areas and not followed the building plans.

The best way is to move to far west Texas. No rain here for over 100 days. Now the wind and dirt may be a problem. I wonder how much weight I will pick up eventually from blowing dust.
Just finished the tail cone frames, and posterior bulkhead, along with deburring and breaking skins.
It is really a hoot.

I would not advise the RV-12 be flown in heavy rain. The seals john refers to work well, to a point. ;)

Back