What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 vs. Zenith 601 XL'B' RACING

JBPILOT

Well Known Member
A friend was at the airport this morning. He buys and sells planes often. His latest is the 601 XL'B'. He has the Jab 6-cyl., 3300 engine. I had to ask him to go up and compare performace ( hey - guys are guys ! ). I WAS SHOCKED ! We were going about 100 MPH, and agreed to firewall both to see how they compared. I thought he would ZOOOOOOOM by me, but surprise, surprise. I slowly walked away from him. I slowed and asked him what RPM he was at. He said 3180, and it is rated at 3300 RPM. Sounds like the fixed wood prop was right for the engine and plane. I expected him to do much more. The plane seems to be in good shape. He said it weighs 800 +, but he is 50 pounds lighter than I am, so I figured we were fairly equal in weight.

Thought it would be interesting to share. Nice plane, and he said it flies very nice. Nothing negative here, just interesting to me.

John Bender

Prop rpm and prop diameter make a big difference. That's a problem with the fast-turning Jabiru engines. Your Rotax has that gearbox, and it pays off.

Back