What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 vs Pipistrel alpha trainer

kmtck

I am a new at posting to VAF and dont have a clue as to where my last post went so wondering if someone would like to give there expert comments on the RV12 Vs Pipistrel alpha trainer. Of course the trainer ships starting April 2012 but some of you might be familiar with the Pipistrel VIRUS it is based on and shine some light.

What's on their website shows that it is a $79k certified LSA with standard BRS. I am in no way associated with Pipistrel or with Van's or with any aircraft manufacturer or kit manufacturer or engine manufacturer or avionics manufacturer.

I can do the cost comparison with no glass panel Alpha
A RV12 kit is $64k+, paint is $8-$10k, tools at ~$2k= $74k-$76k Plus 800-1000 build hour

Its performance and handling is suppose to be like VIRUS SW besides the reduced cruise. Would love to hear your comments!

Rahul

Don't know the Alpha of course but there are a couple of others at our field. They are incredible machines at the cutting edge of aerodynamics and construction.

But they are not to be compared with an RV-12 in my opinion. Different thinking, different mission.
The Alpha may change this a bit if you are looking for a ready made LSA. Looks good on paper - but it's not a RV :)

Rainier

I am a new at posting to VAF and dont have a clue as to where my last post went so wondering if someone would like to give there expert comments on the RV12 Vs Pipistrel alpha trainer. Of course the trainer ships starting April 2012 but some of you might be familiar with the Pipistrel VIRUS it is based on and shine some light.

What's on their website shows that it is a $79k certified LSA with standard BRS. I am in no way associated with Pipistrel or with Van's or with any aircraft manufacturer or kit manufacturer or engine manufacturer or avionics manufacturer.

I can do the cost comparison with no glass panel Alpha
A RV12 kit is $64k+, paint is $8-$10k, tools at ~$2k= $74k-$76k Plus 800-1000 build hour

Its performance and handling is suppose to be like VIRUS SW besides the reduced cruise. Would love to hear your comments!

Rahul

I love the Pipistrel - beautiful aircraft, but have you sat in one? I gave them a good going-over at AERO Friedrichshafen and desperately wanted to be small enough to be comfortable in one...

I don't think Van's has made a squashy aircraft for dwarfs, although the RV-4 rear seat may be the exception.

Trying to get to see the RV12

I havent sat in either the Pipistrel or the 12. I have been in touch with Colin who is in the DFW area for over a month to just get to see his RV12 but he has been pretty busy this new year so far. I also emailed John @ [email protected] but never got any reply back. His mailbox on VAF is pretty full based on the posts I read from folks here so I am still waiting for someone to give me an opportunity to just look at the 12 :(

I know there are many others but I thought with Colin offering transitional training and John offering a bunch of fairings etc for RV12, they will entertain my request. I am still positive that someone will reply back...just need to have patience :)

Regarding the alpha, the cabin is 43"+ wide and I have no idea of the cabin height. It looks good on paper as you say!

Rahul

Two words. Replacement parts.

If you need to repair something you are at the mercy of dealers and a factory in a foreign country.

Don't do it. Been there, done that.

I've been to the factory, their parts warehouse is 3 stories high, with 3 full time staff working specifically on parts, with more stock than I would have ever imagined. Apparently they bought the same warehouse cataloging system that Toyota uses.
I have ordered parts from them also, every time the parts arrived in 1 week or less. (except for a pair of custom ordered leather seats, which took a month.)

For the Alpha trainer, the only parts you'll need from Pipistrel is brake pads/disks, tires.
(unless you crash)
Other than that it's just ngk spark plugs and oil filters, readily available here.

The Alpha trainer isn't a long range machine, it's built specifically to do circuits
while training a ham fisted student (or high time commercial pilot) on how to handle a light aircraft.
It has very little cargo capacity (the fuel tank is in place of where the cargo would normally go for other Pipistrel models) and only holds about 3 hours of fuel.

Super cheap to fly, and it flies like a "pussy cat"

my Background...
Built a Challenger II, Savanna, then a Virus SW taildragger from a kit, flew it like there was no tomorrow (700 hours in 1.5 years) and loved it so much I bought 2 more, and started selling them in Canada.

First things first

Rahul,

What I'm not seeing here yet is (IMHO) of primary importance and ought not be overlooked. First, what will be your aircraft's mission? That always goes a long way in getting you pointed in the right direction. Second, since you are weighing a factory built vs a kit plane, you need to determine if you are a "builder." Since you've been lurking here, you no doubt have the clear picture that building your own is a very significant commitment. It's not just measured in dollars or hours, but in months/years of unrelenting dedication. You have to really want to build, almost as much as you want to fly, or it will just become drudgery.

Van's is now offering a flyaway SLSA of course, but for more $$ than the Pipistrel would cost. The difference in value is no small factor, either. With an RV, you get Van's phenomenal support, and you get thousands of kindred souls...extended family if you will. Me personally, I can't put a dollar figure on that.

Whichever way you choose, all the very best to you. Fly safe.

Blast from the Past

Occasionally this occurs. Check the date right above the posters signature. I did meet with Rahul about 18 months ago so he could check out the RV12. He was a prosperous young man with a bright future ahead of him. Haven't heard from him since then and am not sure what he decided to build.;)

Back