What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Update Just Posted on Van's Website

From the update:

We recently learned that the widely discussed rumor that an E-LSA can be changed/reconfigured with impunity after it was licensed isn?t entirely correct. Yes, the airplane can be changed, but the owner would then be required to re-state the Form 8130-15, affirming that the revised airplane still meets the standards of the LSA category. Since Van?s can not supply a new form, the burden of proof would fall to the builder (see FAR 8130.2F). We don?t know what form of proof the FAA might require in this case.​

Interesting, but not totally bad news. You would need to prove, for example, your new autopilot met the ASTM specs. Shouldn't be that hard given that S-LSA manufacturers use the same parts and meet the same ASTM spec.

TODR

OK to modify E-LSA

It is OK to modify an E-LSA to your hearts content AFTER it is certificated and the 5 hours are flown off as long as the aircraft still meets the definition of LSA. Modifications do NOT have to meet any ASTM standards or be portable. Your certificated E-LSA is an experimental airplane and can be modified just like an amateur built experimental airplane. Sure, you might have to submit paper work to the FAA for major modifications, but that is a minor issue and will not prevent a person from making changes to their aircraft. See my posting http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=306048#post306048
If you want to get the facts directly from EAA headquarters, call Joe Norris at 888.322.4636 Extension 6806
Joe Gores

It is OK to modify an E-LSA to your hearts content AFTER it is certificated and the 5 hours are flown off as long as the aircraft still meets the definition of LSA. Modifications do NOT have to meet any ASTM standards or be portable. Your certificated E-LSA is an experimental airplane and can be modified just like an amateur built experimental airplane. Sure, you might have to submit paper work to the FAA for major modifications, but that is a minor issue and will not prevent a person from making changes to their aircraft. See my posting http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=306048#post306048
If you want to get the facts directly from EAA headquarters, call Joe Norris at 888.322.4636 Extension 6806
Joe Gores

This issue is evolving and getting further attention. The reason a mod can take place is due to a loop hole. That loop hole can be closed. I would not rule out that when it is all said and done that the manufacturer of an E-LSA kit has to approve all post certificate changes. I hope not.

Just returned from FAA/DAR seminar last night. This was discussed at length. At this point unless there is a change, (and none is proposed) an experimental light-sport aircraft may be modified after certification.

Back