What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12: Trimming The Oil Cooler Opening

Geico266

Well Known Member
It has been a while since I finished worked on the cowl, but I don't remember anything in the instructions that tell us to trim the opening to fit the oil cooler attachment plate. There were no scribe lines that I recall either. If the instructions say to I missed it. :eek:

In any event, I noticed the opening of the cowling was over lapping (blocking) the opening of the oil cooler by 1/4" on the passenger side and 1/8" on the top so I opened so the openings match. This seemed improved the oil temps by 5-10 degrees.

For those of you working on your cowling take the oil cooler attachment plate (before you install the oil cooler) and open up the cowl to match the opening. It is much easier to do now than when the oil cooler is installed to the bracket and oil lines. The opening is not rectangle so getting all the correct angles is tough after the fact.

Keep pullin those rivets!! This is a great flying airplane and well worth the effort!

Last edited:
I don't remember that step. Either it is now in the plans, or I missed it.

I just thought I would bring it up so others would take a closer look at the fit.

Thanks Tony!

Back