What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 towbar

bgl

I made a toebar out of 1/2 ridget pipe It works ok but a little hard to install I find it tends to scratch my nose wheel pans. I am wondering if Vans toebar works very good with the nose wheel pan on and if it goes on very well
bgf

Not a bad idea to put clear "prop tape" around the holes on the wheel pants. It protects against tow bar mishaps.

Last edited:
Tow Bar?

I made a toebar out of 1/2 ridget pipe It works ok but a little hard to install I find it tends to scratch my nose wheel pans. I am wondering if Vans toebar works very good with the nose wheel pan on and if it goes on very well
bgf

Not a bad idea to learn how to move the 12 around without a tow bar. It has a castering nose wheel and can be moved anywhere by hand with ease but of course it is a learned skill. I can't claim credit. I watched Grady and his crew at CustomGlo move RV's all over their hanger in no time and there isn't a tow bar to be found. Sure saves on beating up the wheel pants as well.
Pete

p.s. if you just have to buy one, get the one from WagAero...much cheaper.

Are you referring to the WagAero Liberty XL2 Towbar Model: SKU: M-340-111 for $52.75?
The collapsed length is 28 inches which seems to be very awkward for the 12's baggage compartment for those times you want to carry a towbar. I need to buy a towbar and am looking for a recommendation. But I do not know if all of the RV - specified towbars (i.e. 6A,9A,10) will work with the RV-12. Many do not yet list that specifically. Other suggestions would be appreciated. What are you flying folks carrying around - when you do carry one?

Van's sell a towbar especially for the RV-12:

cat-med_12-tow_bar.jpg

Vans' solution doesn't look like it'll work with the wheel pants.

This one: http://store.wagaero.com/product_info.php?products_id=8119 is the one we bought, and as long as you make the holes in the wheel pants sufficiently large, works great.

Text from link to Van's Web site posted by Gagarin737...

Custom tow bar for the RV-12. Collapsible for storage, also functions as a rudder control lock.
Some simple assembly required. Lightweight (1.2 lb) aluminum, with a red anodized finish. Will work with/without wheelpants

How does that happen? It looks like the bars face downward, however the wheel-pant holes are facing each other.

How does that happen? It looks like the bars face downward, however the wheel-pant holes are facing each other.

Note, it says "also functions as a rudder control lock"
The photo is of the towbar in its partially collapsed (it can actually bae made quite small) rudder lock configuration.

RV12 Towbar

I went to the aviation section of Home Depot and made one from PVC pipe; it kinda looks like a rectangular "U" with an open end that has 2 pieces of copper pipe that fit over the bolt that secures the front wheel...WITH wheel pants. I think it cost me about 5 bucks...
Meade
N612RV:D

I went to the aviation section of Home Depot and made one from PVC pipe; it kinda looks like a rectangular "U" with an open end that has 2 pieces of copper pipe that fit over the bolt that secures the front wheel...WITH wheel pants. I think it cost me about 5 bucks...
Meade
N612RV:D

Can you post Pictures?

Back