What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Throttle Creep

RPorter

Throughout my flight training I have battled the friction locking throttle on our -12. It creeps very badly, and quite frankly I am tired of blistered hands from twisting the locker so darn tight. It gets very annoying while flying base and final, as I already have enough to think about. I saw the vernier throttle from McFarland, but was wondering if any other options were out there?

Throughout my flight training I have battled the friction locking throttle on our -12. It creeps very badly, and quite frankly I am tired of blistered hands from twisting the locker so darn tight. It gets very annoying while flying base and final, as I already have enough to think about. I saw the vernier throttle from McFarland, but was wondering if any other options were out there?
I've been happier since I changed to these: http://www.mcfarlane-aviation.com/Products/?ID=57724805&PartNumber=6534&

If you order, note that they come in a pack of two. In other words, order Quantity = 1 and you will get two springs.

You still have to manage the throttle creep with the friction lock, but not nearly as much.

Last edited:
I replaced the springs with weaker ones. I've heard all the stories about throttle failure mode, and my springs still get the throttle open on a cable failure with minimal creep that can be taken care of by the friction lock at all settings except idle. The throttle feels much smoother.

OK, I'm ready to bite - what is the force of the Rotax OEM spring? And which should I shoot for - the 3.5# spring, or the 5# spring?

Bob Bogash
N737G

McFarlane

I installed the springs bought through the group at about 50 hours and thyen replaced them 25 hours or so later when the McFarlane springs became available. I've been happier with the weaker McFarlane springs, but the others did work fine. One note-- they will pull the throttle open but not all the way. You'll have to push in in the last half-inch (or less) for full takeoff power.

Wayne 120241/143WM

I just bought a box of springs from Harbor Freight and picked the ones that felt best. Just makes sure they are securely fastened to the throttle arms.

Back