What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12: Throttle Cable Attachment Nut & Idle Stop

Geico266

Well Known Member
At OSH the judges pointed out that the nylock nut supplied by Rotax to secure the throttle cable bolt is not compliant with accepted standards for aircraft. Any nut firewall forward is to be all metal. While (of course) we are suppose to follow the plans to be in compliance with E-LSA it should be noted to make sure you are also complying with the accepted standards for US aircraft. Yes, we are experimental, but trust me, the judges were not impressed with my explanation.

Also, Rotax now recommends an idle stop on the cable to avoid deforming the stops at the carb by pulling on the throttle too hard. The newer engine kits seem to have them, but the older -12 kits did not.

Last edited:
There is no "requirement" that all lock nuts FWF be all metal. Good practice, yes, requirement, no!
The only way it can be a requirement on LSA is if the manufacturer specifies it, and then it would have to be an S-LSA. There is no such requirement on experimentals.

Also, Rotax now recommends an idle stop on the cable to avoid deforming the stops at the carb by pulling on the throttle too hard. The newer engine kits seem to have them, but the older -12 kits did not.

All of the RV-12 powerplant kits have had separate idle stops. On the early kits it was internally part of the throttle control. On the later kits the throttle control was changed to a different style, so the stops were added to the cables.

All of the RV-12 powerplant kits have had separate idle stops. On the early kits it was internally part of the throttle control. On the later kits the throttle control was changed to a different style, so the stops were added to the cables.

Ahhhh! That makes sense now. I could not see the reason for them and now I know why! The older kits have internal stops.

Thanks Scott!

Last edited:
Thanks Mel and Scott

Seems like we can always depend on Mel and Scott for difinitive answers. Thanks for being there guys!

I have changed out the nylock nuts for the mechanical locking nuts. One of the nylock nuts on the throttle cable lost its grip inflight and I had to return to the airport "full throttle" and make a dead stick landing. Not a big deal, but not a situtation I want to repeat.

Throttle Stop

Hi,

I have just installed mine. They have a tiny grub screw (set screw) that is so small I cannot see if it has a hex nut. Can anyone advise what (size) tool is used to tighten these up?

Thanks...Keith

The Rotax Illustrated Parts PDF say the throttle cable nylock nut is a 5M lock nut. The smallest mechanical locking nut I've found so far is a 6M. Anyone know where I can find a 5M?

Thansk,
-Ron

Tiny allen Key

Hi Keith,
50 thou was the size I found to fit. You will also find a 10x hand lens (magnifier) is invaluable for building an aircraft eg checking the sharpness of drills, cracks in pipe flares, damage to threads, etc etc.
Rod

Back