What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 The Right "Fit" for Me?

aggieaviator

I'm New Here
Hello everyone. First post, interested in building an experimental. Have no experience building aircraft with just a little bit of high school shop/tool experience. I've looked at the RV-12 as a good plane that would meet 95% mission profile and seems like an "easier" kit to build for a beginner builder. I haven't had an opportunity to sit in an RV-12 and am concerned that it may be too small for my larger frame; 6' 1'', 225 lbs. What is the likelihood of me fitting relatively comfortably in this aircraft solo or with a female passenger of significantly smaller stature? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

No problem

Jerome,

I'm not that far along on my RV-12, but, having sat in one and closed the canopy, at 6'0" and about your weight, it was plenty comfortable. Earlier posts have indicated 6'4" was OK.

Rob

Hi Jerome

I have been flying for 57.9 hours now. I am 1" shorter, and 5 - 10 lbs less. I have plenty of headroom. I have both seat cushions in, so if I removed the lower secondary cushion, I'd have 4 -5" headroom. I took a friend, who is bigger than me for a ride recently, and we fit fine. Leg room is good.

John Bender

Welcome to VAF

I'm 6'1" 200 lbs. I have carried guys 280 & 6'3". VERY comfortable airplane.

Gig'm Aggies!

Welcome! I am 6' 3" and have flown the red RV-12 demo plane with a headset on with no problem. This is a great kit for first time builders like you and me!

Back