What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Tailcone Dimensions?

Ozinga

I'm New Here
Hey all,

I finally made the commitment and ordered an RV-12 tailcone and empannage kit, it should arrive fairly soon. I live in S.W. Michigan, just outside of South Bend, IN.

My workshop is the upstairs of my garage, which is built into a hillside. You drive in on one side and walk-in the upstairs on the other end, also at ground level. The upstairs workshop is setup pretty nicely, heated, A/C, stereo, etc and is definitely the better place to be than the garage, but I have concerns about what pieces of the project are going to fit thru the door!

I currently have a 36" door, will the completed tailcone fit through it? The wings I'm not worried about, but for the fuselage I'm hoping going to a 46" door might be enough. If not, I may put in a sliding glass door and use that for both moving the components in and out and well, it would just be nice to have the additional daylight. Double doors are also an option.

I was lucky enough to find that I have a coworker that used to make a living as an A&P who has lent me most of the tools I need, if not more than I need and has offered assistance if needed. He said the hard part will be getting him to leave! The rest tools are on the way.

I'm quite anxious to start!

Bill,

You have picked aa great project. Moving and storing the finished parts can be a problem. When finishes the tailcone is 9 feet long, but very light in weight. Mine is stored vertically in the garage with my wife's car. The stablizers, rudder and trim tabs are in the computer room. I'm working on the wings and bult an eaa wing rack on wheels.

I repeat, this is a fun project. Enjoy.

It will work great with a 36 in door

Actually you will have no problems with the tail assembly. You can even build all the fuselage up until putting the roll bar on.

Hi Bill,
I built my fuse in a room 8 ft x 10ft 4 in. In that room I also did the canopy, controls, wiring and instruments. The trick was a low table on castors as the building bench (actually it was the one of the vans crates inverted). It went out the 3ft 8in door on its side with the rollover bar in place.
Rod

Now I'm confused: Jetguy John--how do you get the fuse out of a 36" door--Ozinga a least has to replace his door with something wider. Ausflyer Rod--I trust by fuse you mean just the fuse,and not the joined up tailcone and fuse--considerably greater than 10'4".

Hey all,

I finally made the commitment and ordered an RV-12 tailcone and empannage kit, it should arrive fairly soon. I live in S.W. Michigan, just outside of South Bend, IN.

My workshop is the upstairs of my garage, which is built into a hillside. You drive in on one side and walk-in the upstairs on the other end, also at ground level. The upstairs workshop is setup pretty nicely, heated, A/C, stereo, etc and is definitely the better place to be than the garage, but I have concerns about what pieces of the project are going to fit thru the door!

I currently have a 36" door, will the completed tailcone fit through it? The wings I'm not worried about, but for the fuselage I'm hoping going to a 46" door might be enough. If not, I may put in a sliding glass door and use that for both moving the components in and out and well, it would just be nice to have the additional daylight. Double doors are also an option.

I was lucky enough to find that I have a coworker that used to make a living as an A&P who has lent me most of the tools I need, if not more than I need and has offered assistance if needed. He said the hard part will be getting him to leave! The rest tools are on the way.

I'm quite anxious to start!

Great project, lots of fun, What is your serial number/ customer number?

I just measured my tail cone that's waiting to get attached to the fuselage. Width is 39.5", height is 35", measured at the point where it gets attached to the fuselage..

I got my completed tailcone into the basement for storage through a standard 36 inch door by bringing it in sideways. Didn't have to take of the door molding or the door itself.

Yay for narrow components!

That 35" number is the key, thanks for measuring and the other confirmations.

I haven't gotten the kit number yet since I asked them to hold shipping so it will arrive on/after the 14th. I'm going to be out of town for a conference for a week and didn't think sticking the wife with a couple hundred lb. crate would be getting off to the best start. She's supportive so far, I aim to keep it that way!

Last edited:
Back