What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 storage

JRo

Well Known Member
My RV-12 sits in the hangar complete except for the Rotax. I am selling my ol' Cessna, funds from which are necessary to complete the build. The shipping ply is still on the plexglass, and the kit is covered with soft sheets & blankets. Any other precautions I should take as it sits for months? I am particularly concerned about the fuel tank...

Jim
N448JR (reserved)

Jim,

Sorry I didn't get to answering your email about this. I don't think there is anything to worry about, re: the tank. Maybe just seal it up to keep out moisture.

Long term storage

Protective plastic film can be difficult to remove after a long period of time.
Mice can make nests inside of airplane parts. Their urine will cause corrosion.
Joe Gores

Mice

PUt a few sheets of "bounce" inside. Mice hate it. I have 2 upholstered antique cars in storage every winter.... No mice! Bounce is used in laundry othwise.

Tim

Dirt Daubers

I don't have an issue with mice, but I sure have trouble keeping out the Dirt Daubers. Any Ideas!!...................Tom

Last edited:
I don't have an issue with mice, but I sure have trouble keeping out the Dirt Daubers. Any Ideas!!...................Tom

Fill an old sock with moth balls. Hang it in your storage area / hangar, and no more dirt daubers. We have used this method for years in our deer hunting stands.

Back