What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Steps

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
Just opened up an began inventory on the fuselage sub kit. As many before have stated, there are a great number and variety of parts therein. Have found a few shortages but my question is about the steps.

The craftsmanship on my steps is pretty good but I am concerned about the finish - both inside and outside. It should look good, be light weight and protect against rust. Did a search and found little that applied.

Please advise - what finish (other than chrome plating) is appropriate? My main concern is the inside. It would be good if I could use the same finishing treatment on the inside and outside and apply or have it professionally applied at the same time but I am looking for the best solution that will stop rust.

Appreciate all suggestions, thanks in advance.

Steps & other loose parts

I recently included the steps, instrument panel pieces, including attached map box and door (separate & attach with #6 screws) and seat backs and had all of them powder coated the same color gray as all of Van's steel powder coated parts. Matches the rudder pedals, etc.

steps ...

I was advised by Van's not to chrome plate the steps ... that will make them brittle and they will crack.

Back