What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12/Sport Pilot Insurance

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Has anyone already found an insurance company that will write a policy for the RV-12 and a pilot without a medical? The broker I've bee insured with for years (Aircraft & Marine) says that they can't find one. AIG writes all their Sport Pilot poplicies, but won't cover the RV-12. I'll have a medical when my RV-12 (ready to order, if I can get insurance) is completed but plan to let it laps-- that's the whol;e point of building a 12.

Wayne Moyer

US Specialty probably will. Aerospace might. Global Aerospace probably will - need to be an EAA member. Britt Paulk is writing Vans stuff now.

AIG probably will, too - when there are some RV-12s to insure. Everyone's probably kind of waiting until the first ones start rolling out the doors. Nobody wants to be first.

Most likely everyone will jump on once the first flights occur. Don't worry about no medical Sport pilot insurance. It'll be available. It's available now on other aircraft.

Call your agent and have the try again in a few months. If you need help - let me know.

Wayne- Give Joe Ruck a call at Aviation Insurance Resources.(1-805-557-0207)I just switched over to him from AIG, and saved myself $700.00 a year, for the insurance on my RANS S-7S (light sport). I'm a retired airline pilot, and I no longer maintain a current medical- sport pilot flying only. Steve

AVEMCO has my RV-12 insured undercontruction and has no problem insuring when I am done, however mine is Experimental A/B. ELSA they had a problem with but that may have changed now.

Avemco

Before I ordered my first RV-12 sub kit I checked with Avemco and they said that right now ( 7 months ago) that they were insuring RV-12 for liability only. I suspect that after some experience they will also offer hull insurance, but since I wanted liability coverage only it was fine by me.

JohnF

Back