What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 revisions updated(again)

REVISIONS

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!!
SPENT TWO HOURS THE OTHER NIGHT CHECKING TO SEE IF I HAD THE LATEST REVISIONS OR NOT.

Why is finding what has changed in revisions so tough?

Why is it so difficult to find what has changed when a revision is issued? I might be missing something but whenever a revision is made I have to read through word for word and/or compare the drawings on the revised plans page with the original plans page to find what has changed. Seems to me that changes should be highlighted, italicized, or identified in a similar fashion.
A related question: Why do some of the revisions show "0", rather than 1, with only a date change? Does the "0" mean the change doesn't pertain to me? I usually can't find anything has changed on those revisions showing "0".

Denny Myrick
Scottsdale, AZ
(RV-12 wings and empennage completed)

The United States Soccer Federation has to update the Laws of the Game every year. They note the updated sections with a bar in front of the new or changed items. Since they make changes annually, one only need look at the year version to note the changes for that year. So in reviewing the laws, one only need look for the bar to catch the changes for the year.

Similarly, Van's could make notation on the plans in the same manner, along with the current revision number and revision date in the page information block. Subsequent revisions would remove the previous bar and add a bar on the changed items for the current revision number.

Like this:

Previous revision item: 1. Dimple 4 holes in firewall as noted
Newest Revision item: | 1. Dimple 6 holes in firewall as noted

Changed items for that revision would be noted with a bar, previous revisions would have the bar removed. Simple. :)

Regards,

N_D

Bars work great when your dealing with text changes, however draftsmen generally add a cloud around a changes on a drawing and add the revision number next to it. Frequently they will do this with text changes on a drawing as well. I agree they need to make some sort of notation. Some may be important technical changes; others may only be text clarifications.

Back