What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Replacement aft stub spar

rgmwa

Well Known Member
As I was half expecting, I had some left wing wobble on the trial fit due to some over-zealous filing and sanding of the original aft stub spar. Typical first time builder learning on the job!

Interestingly, the new stub spar has three additional rivet holes, which I assume means the inboard W-1212 flaperon bracket flange has been enlarged in more recent kits.

It's great to know that Vans are continually refining the design, and as the plans advise, I'm building on. But still, 7 AD4-6 rivets where there are now only 4?? That's a significant increase, and I'm wondering whether I shouldn't order new flaperon brackets for both wings.

Just curious as to whether anyone with some hours up on their aircraft has had any issues with the flaperon brackets that might have prompted Vans to put more rivets in?

8396082483_0c6e6d4e30.jpg

Last edited:
OK, time's up!

No reports of flapping flaperons after 242 views, and here's why - the official answer from Vans (they do take notice of what goes on here):

"The 3 extra holes are simply to identify which oversize stub spar that is as the differences are small (3 holes = .045 over). The standard kit version has no holes, so you don't put any rivets in".

Simple really. :)

Thanks Vans

Back