What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 refueling option pictures

Tony_T

Well Known Member
Patron
RV-12 refueling methods pictures

The RV-12 Fuel Tank thread has run off the track to refueling systems. A new thread with pictures seems appropriate since there are many new builders who probably missed the original threads and a search turns up a lot of places to look on this topic. There have been several threads in the past about refueling with Mogas especially. Maybe those that have posted pictures in the past can populate this new thread with your refueling system.

My system is the Flo-Fast. Keep in mind that it is designed for race cars, boats and other earth bound vehicles and is not aviation specific. Standard safety procedures apply.

I use two of the 7.5 gallon jugs because I can lift and transport them fairly easily. Bill H. has gone with the 15 gallon pump jug and refilling them with smaller jugs and a Mr. Funnel filter. That sounds like a really good setup. Also, I found that I can not see the fuel level easily in the red jugs. You can buy clear jugs and you can see the fuel in them and read the gallon markers on the jugs much better than the red jugs.
I have pumped a lot of fuel with my setup now with no problems.
i-zCPM6WQ-M.jpg

Note static line and synthetic rubber mat to protect the lexan window.
i-THp7KKJ-M.jpg

The static line is going to the rear tie-down. The other line with clamp is something to keep the hose from falling out, but on the 12 there is no place to clamp it.

Tony

Last edited:
I also use the Flo-Fast system and use two 7-1/2 gal jugs that are the clear type. Have just started using the system but so far I really like it. I am using 92 octane ethnol free gas.

Please be very careful if you use a plastic filter (Mr. Funnel) or plastic funnel on top of the 15 gallon jug and transfer and/or filter the gasoline from a smaller (5 gallon or 7.5 gallon) transfer jug that you take to the gas station. I have heard of two instances where static electricity has created a flash fire in the funnel.

Marty, I use the Flow Fast system and transfer fuel from 5 gallon containers via Mr. Funnel. I have two questions: 1) Were the two instances of flash fires you cite with Mr. F specifically or plastic funnels generically; and 2) Were these incidents aviation-related and up in your area?

Being aware of the dangers of handling fuel, I am always careful to fill my 5 gallon containers on the ground and not in the truck bed. But if there are identifiable factors--the screen in Mr. F perhaps--which bear additional precaution, I would sure like to know about them.

I have equipped my 5 gallon cans with ground wires should I need to fill up elsewhere. I suppose I could clip this to a wire pro-sealed into Mr. F... Of course the ground wire for the Flow Fast is in the pump assembly which is not on the container when being filled.

Jim
RV-12 #264
flying since 12/10

Plastic

Jim,

Plastic does not conduct electricity but it does build up static electricity. You are correct to put your can on the ground. It is the spark generated by the grounded metal nozzle coming in contact with the static electricity that ignites the fumes. You may want to consider touching your nozzle to the side of the plastic container before you take the lid off the plastic can. Then keep the nozzle in contact with the container the entire time you are putting gas in it.

Or get metal gas cans.

Pete

Back