What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Radio

johns4689

Well Known Member
I'm at wits end. I installed a ICOM ICA210 radio in my EAB RV -12. When I have the intercom on I get a lot of engine noise above 3000 rpm. And it gets worse the higher I go. With the intercom off I don't get the noise and can hear the tower or other planes just fine. I'm using the same jacks, headset, and I assume audio ouput on the radio. Should I have a choke installed on the power side, and if so what size and how does it get wired? I hope someone out there can help. I have all the grounds at one place so I don't think I have a ground loop.

Intercom Problem

What type of intercom are you using?

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering

I'm at wits end. I installed a ICOM ICA210 radio in my EAB RV -12. When I have the intercom on I get a lot of engine noise above 3000 rpm. And it gets worse the higher I go. With the intercom off I don't get the noise and can hear the tower or other planes just fine. I'm using the same jacks, headset, and I assume audio ouput on the radio. Should I have a choke installed on the power side, and if so what size and how does it get wired? I hope someone out there can help. I have all the grounds at one place so I don't think I have a ground loop.

When I have the intercom on I get a lot of engine noise above 3000 rpm. And it gets worse the higher I go.

Can you identify if you are hearing audio noise through the intercom, like an open mike, or are you hearing electronic noise? If electronic, does it sound like ignition (stacatto pulses), or alternator (whine)?

Do you happen to know anyone with some electronics knowledge, like maybe a ham radio operator? Someone with some experience in the field could be invaluable to you.

Last edited:
i have a a210 installed and it works fine have you tried turning the squelch right down on both intercoms pilot and copilot as i had the same problem it was just vox noise

I'm glad to know someone has the same radio, and it works. Question: When you installed the mike and headset jacks, how do you have them grounded. I assume the mike jack is isolated from the panel and you run the Tips to pin j and k. And the shield to pin 8. On the headset jack did you isolate the jack from the panel?

Back