What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Pulled Rivit Installation?

Phantom30

Well Known Member
Are the pulled rivits on the RV-12 installed into dimpled skins? The reason for the question is....if so, has anyone used a bond filler to achieve a smoother paint/finish. As opposed to using flush rivits some builders have used (having to build EAB as opposed to E-LSA).

Am thinking ahead!!!!

A small portion of the pulled rivets are of the countersunk type and those do go into a dimpled part of the skin or other surface or a countersunk piece. The wing leading edge right next to the fuselage is an example. A search willl show you all kinds of info about the rivets, including that replacing them will yield no speed increase,

Bill,

I was'nt looking for speed...simply appearance and ease of cleaning/polishing.

Probably a stupid question...."can dimpling be done to recess them"...so bond filling can be done before paint?

I don't think the ends would justify the means. Talk to Geico, he filled his and it looks very good. Should have done it myself.

Pretty thin aluminum...not sure how all that dimpling would look. The edges that David refers to are double thickness (for steps). Of course you would also need to buy all new rivets. 10,000 countersunk L4-3's would probably run around $500.

Well Phantom, I think you owe Larry some beer. These things come with a cost around here!

Back