What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 paint stencil

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
Curious if there is a stencil for the RV 12 logo on the vertical stab I see on some of the factory paint schemes.

Not that I am aware of.

There are vinyl decals of it available which can be applied and clear coated over.

Rv-12 'logo'

vinyl decals available from Van's

http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1347155949-144-405&browse=airframe&product=12-decal

not sure why Scott suggests clear coating; 100% of the vinyl I've ever used or heard of specifically prohibits applying anything overtop....the solvents in the paint soak in, and lead to failure of the adhesive bonding the vinyl to the surface.
Perhaps he's referring to the common practice of painting with a stencil, which after removal, can leave a sharp, thick paint edge that some find offensive. Sanding and/or Clear coating over this is pretty standard practice to soften the edge, and even out the gloss with the rest of the background colour.

once you purchase a logo for your own use, I don't see why you couldn't reproduce that artwork at different sizes for use on your own aircraft, upholstery, etc.

Vinyl decals are clear coated all the time, and I think that is how the S-LSA RV-12's are done.
But I guess it is irresponsible of me to suggest that it will always work.
Use of a clear that doesn't use a reducer for spraying is recommended.
Also, a spray test with the particular clear and vinyl you intend to use is a good idea.

Do a google search on clear coating vinyl. There is of course some info saying it can't be done... there is a lot of info showing it is done all the time.

I agree that using a paint stencil is the best way. It allows using the exact colors that you are painting, but there is no stencil available of the RV-12 logo.

I do stencils all the time for aircraft painting, usually just tail numbers, but sometimes rather sophisticated designs. I don't do large things as my equipment only goes to 24 inch width. If there is significant interest, I could talk to Van's and ask permission to duplicate their design. I do NOT copy things that are other's design work without permission. I could make these available for a donation to AviationNation, Inc. AN is our new organization doing RV-12 builds in schools. You will be reading more about that shortly; we are growing rapidly.

I will not be available for about a week as I am heading to the AOPA Aviation Education Symposium in Florida, leaving tomorrow. I will be back late next week and, if there is enough interest, do the necessary work. It does seem like something needed. Shoot me an e-mail, [email protected].

Bob

Back