What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 paint question

JRo

Well Known Member
I am taking my RV-12 to an nearby auto paint shop, piece-by-piece, as I go. Found a real nice primer for Imron paint, and purchased enough for entire aircraft at the outset. Tailcone & wings came out real nice, and are on racks in the hangar, covered with sheets, waiting for the rest of the airplane to catch up. My fuselage is nearing completion, and I plan to trailer it over to Nick, my paint guy, before attaching the tailcone (which is already painted). I've ordered the interior upholstery kit, but was wondering if this would be a good time to hit the entire fuselage interior with primer, while its still open, accessible, easy to handle, and has no upholstery or canopy to mask yet. What do you guys think? I could save weight and money by not bothering, but it seems so easy to prime at this point.....

Thanks,

JRo

Definitely

In fact, on page 25-05, it says "now's a good time to paint the interior." I'd hit it with the finish color, too - not just primer.

Ken,

Thanks! Didn't see that statement in instructions, but will look. I was thinking just primer, because seats & upholstery should cover most, but will re-think. Sounds like you're at about the same point as I am; wings & tail done, fuselage up to rollover structure. Have ordered finishing with wheel pants & gray interior, coming late July. Wings & tail painted in nice white Imron, primer also white.

Jim

Jim,

Definitely do it now! I even did it one step earlier, and primed/painted each piece before installation.

John

John,

Thank you! I will paint it now. Do you agree with Ken about doing the fuselage interior with final coat, too? I've been looking at interior pics trying to see how much metal is exposed after full interior, not wanting to paint more than I need 'cause of weight.

Jim

finish coat not needed

Yes, it sounds like we're at about the same place. I've been painting my interior piece by piece, with a primer and then a dark grey to cut down on reflections on the canopy. If you want to do just primer, that's fine. Either way, I think it's a good idea to do it now. You're right: the upholstery covers up a lot of the interior.

Back