What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Page 20-02 Step 2

Jamesey

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

Please see message below sent to Vans help line. I still await a reply but it is the weekend. Appreciate if you don't all fall about laughing but any thoughts appreciated.

"If it?s possible to make a mistake it seems I?ll find the way.

When drilling the centre section and the F-1204CL-R for the F-1204R retainer blocks (drill size #11) I picked up a packet out my drill drawer which was labelled DB 11. I merrily drilled the required holes. Next day I noticed the drill labelled DB 11 is in fact a ?? drill, i.e., the holes are too large.

Looking at the F-1204R retainer blocks, can I drill these holes out to ?? and use AN4-12A bolts? If not, is there another solution? Lesson learned to triple check things in future."

Jim D

If those are the nylon blocks that are the guides for sliding the wing spars, they are non structural. If they will not break with larger drilled holes, then that is what I would do. If it does not work out, replacement blocks are inexpensive. Another option is to rivet a patch over the enlarged holes and then drill the correct size holes into the patch. Or follow Van's advice.
Joe Gores

I would definitely check with Van's.

I've been surprised in the past thinking I would need to replace parts and went ahead and did it anyone. If you're like me, you're building multiple planes at the same time anyway. I just order new parts until I get it right.

It helps you to memorize you're builder number without really trying...:eek:

Bob

Insignificant Change.

A 1/4 bolt should work fine however you may need vans OK IF ELSA.

I think VAN will OK this insignificant Change.

MY view

Hi folks,

Please see message below sent to Vans help line. I still await a reply but it is the weekend. Appreciate if you don't all fall about laughing but any thoughts appreciated.

"If it?s possible to make a mistake it seems I?ll find the way.

When drilling the centre section and the F-1204CL-R for the F-1204R retainer blocks (drill size #11) I picked up a packet out my drill drawer which was labelled DB 11. I merrily drilled the required holes. Next day I noticed the drill labelled DB 11 is in fact a ?? drill, i.e., the holes are too large.

Looking at the F-1204R retainer blocks, can I drill these holes out to ?? and use AN4-12A bolts? If not, is there another solution? Lesson learned to triple check things in future."

Jim D

Back