What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 order form changed

Ausflyer

Well Known Member
I too received a letter from Vans with the fuse price included. It's good to see another change that has been made. No longer are the engine and accessories included with the Avionics and instruments.

This is important for anyone planning to go the E-AB route, and getting the aircraft accepted as 51% built by the owner, Perhaps with with a few of his own ideas incorporated.

The order form still contains the rule that for the RV-12, no parts can be deleted from the kit as listed, or parts returned. But the revised kit content list does mean that you dont have to buy the the Dynon and the Garmin 296 to finish your project. You can now plan on steam gauges if you want.

From this order form change, I gather that Vans have been listening to their customers. That's great.

Now if we can only get Van to include the nosegear/engine mount with the fuse. Then we can have the fuse section standing on its own three legs while we wait for the rest of the kits. Failing that I'm sure someone will come up with a dummy nosegear that will safely bolt to the engine mounting holes as an interim measure.

If Van wont include the nosegear with the fuse, I wonder if his engineer could do a drawing of a suitable dummy for us?

Rod

kit descriptions?

I just downloaded the RV-12 E-LSA Kit Order Form dated 7-18-08. I see the break out of the Avionics kit but I don't see any details that say you don't have to buy the Dynon and Garmin units. Is there some other place where this info is posted or did you get this info from talking to Van's?

Thanks,
Bob Kibby (wing kit#105 and fuselage kit#? ordered)

I think he's referring to E-AB builders, Bob. Based on the old form, the only way to get the firewall-forward package was to buy the "Avionics/Powerplant" package (or however they titled it). Now E-AB builders can buy the Firewall Forward sub-kit and roll their own panel.

The form still indicates that ELSA builders cannot delete items.

Of course, it may turn out that this kit will need substantial builder improvisation to get E-AB certification, depending on how the new FAA regs end up. And, contrary to what I was told by Van's several months ago, it seems that S-LSA certification of the kit is still pending. Hopefully RV-12 early adopters will have a relatively easy road to certification of some sort. I have faith in Van's, it's the FAA that frightens me.

From the start Vans have said that builders buying an E-SLA kit could take the option of making it an E-AB aircraft. But Vans could not get the kit approved for the 51% rule ? you had to do that for yourself. By making the avionics, engine and flight instruments, switches and fuses a separate kit, it allows builders to customise their aircraft in that area as they build their E-AB aircraft.
Another thought. An E-AB builder might be able to trade his fixed pitch prop for a ground adjustable one to get better short field performance or those extra knots that may be available, but are ruled out by the E-SLA rules.

Actually...

Another thought. An E-AB builder might be able to trade his fixed pitch prop for a ground adjustable one to get better short field performance or those extra knots that may be available, but are ruled out by the E-SLA rules.

Ground adjustable props are allowed within LSA. Just not "cockpit adjustable".

Hi Mel,
One problem with getting a ground adjustable prop on your E-LSA RV-12 is the "rules" on the order form - no deletions and no returns within each subkit. Another is the bear - when you apply for factory approval to a variation on the approved E-LSA design, Vans will know if that mod will put the RV-12 over the allowed maximum power speed for an E-LSA. They could not be expected to endorse such a change.
I know we are arguing hypotheticals here, but here in OZ we do have a clear choice, and I'm in the process of working out which way to jump right now.
I greatly value your input and would like to hear any more comments you might have.

Lycoming Engine

Did anyone else at OSH notice that Lycoming now has a new IO-233, 100hp engine? Asked Van if he was thinking about it....he said he heard about when we did. hmmmmmm.

Pete

I wonder what it weighs, and if it
would fit in a RV-12. I can't
bring myself to order a 12 kit if
the only engine available is the
(in my opinion) 100% over priced 912.
Tom

Lycoming Engine

One press release stated 200# so the 12 would have serious CG issues with that on the nose. Too bad. It sounds nice. Electronic thottle body, electronic ignition and runs on 93 Octane Mogas or 100LL.

RV 12 and 1/2 ?

Frank

The guy in the Booth said the 233 weighed 5lbs more than the 912 installed with all fluids and equipment needed.

For me, the next move is up to Vans.
It would give me a familiar company, airframe and engine.

It would put the 12 back on the table.

Tom

Back