What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Oil Leak on top of Reservoir

Have recently noticed clean oil residue from a leak after several flights on top of the reservoir for Rotax 912 ULS. Took cowling off and cleaned up area and removed cap and top of reservoir and checked all including hoses and rubber O Ring on reservoir. All appears normal. Crimped band holding top to bottom of reservoir and reinstalled with proper torque. Still have slight leak. Could the pressure from oil system be causing oil to come out around O Ring and pool on top of reservoir? If so, what is the proper fix? Has any one else had this problem? Thanks for any suggestions and help

Doug Robison
N 68 DM RV 12

Just a maybe - -

Is the vent line in good condidtion ? Does it hit the lower cowl by chance and restrict flow ? Did the 'O' ring look good ?

John Bender
390.2 hrs as of this morning

Have you installed a wire-tie or small clamp around overflow vent hose? Mine used to get a little oily on top of tank before I added clamp. If not leaks a little maybe. How much oil do you have in the system? Too much can cause venting it out or maybe push past the tank clamp. Try loosening tank clamp move it a bit and re titen. Might help.
Dick Seiders

John's comment about the vent hose is correct. It cannot have a restriction. Bumping into the bottom of the cowl is a common one. Another is to have it extended in to the airstream. Neither is good.

Same problem

I had the same problem with indications of using/losing 1/3 quart every 6-10 hours. I removed all the connections, put Locktite 567 (??? White stuff) on the threaded connections (NOT on flare!!) and the problem went away. About 16 hours since oil change/ Loctite application with no noticeable oil loss.

Wayne 120241

I have the same thing going on with New Blue. I checked all the fittings, changed the O-ring, cleaned the channel, etc. Not a real big deal, but annoying. Hope someone figures it out.

Mine use to leak just enough to have to clean the top. Did not notice any real loss so I just cleaned. No leaks since last annual when I took the tank off to clean and reassembled. Original oil cap.

250 hours and lovin it. :D

Thanks guys for all the good suggestions. I will put a small clamp on the vent as I have done all the others with no success. I even crimped down the clamp a little to get a better seal between the bottom, the O ring, and the top to no success. If it is leaking aroung the O ring, some type of mod to force the top and bottom together and squeeze the O ring is what is needed. I guess that is why they call it experimental! Again, thanks to all!!

Doug Robison

Found oil reservoir leak problem. I received the wrong oil tank for our 912 ULS. The tank cover I received had female port connections for both the oil hoses that were a part of the engine kit and they should have been male port connections on the tank cover to properly fit with the female hoses from Vans. Vans notified on 8/14/2012 and shipped a new tank to me on 8/15/2012. If you are having leaks on the oil tank cover, check to make sure you have female hose connectors attaching to male connectors on the tank cover. This allows proper torque on the juncture and should halt any possible leaks from the flow of oil under an approximate 10 psi pressure in the tank and hoses. Thanks goes out to Sterling and Joe in Vans support area to help identify this problem and get it fixed properly and quickly. DBR

One more incorrect tank

After chasing a small leak around the top of the tank, I too discovered that I have the tank with the wrong fittings. Called Van's yesterday and they have already shipped a replacement. Van's posted a "notification" on the web site today. Interestingly, the connection did not leak for the first several hours. I guess this is a first time builder error as the fittings are clearly incompatible if one looks into the hose fitting, both are female connectors. For anyone who might be having the same tank leaks, my powerplant kit was shipped 7/26/2011.

BillT
N947WT
RV-12 #120406

I was wondering how the connection was possible! The notification shows pics of the right vs. wrong oil tank top. I checked my construction photos and mine is the right one.

So, according to Van's, there were only 2 incorrect tanks shipped out. "Cap'n Cowboy" (Where the heck did you come up with that name?), and BillT. Good to know that they have both been located.

I could kick myself, and have, for not checking the fittings. Lesson learned!

"That is why they call it EXPERIMENTAL!". -DR

And yes, Captain Cowboy is going to smack me for this! :D

Darryn Davis
Builder (not owner)
N68DM

Last edited:
Back