What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 NAV/Strobe Problem

ELL

I'm New Here
Hi everyone,
I have build an RV 12 with the old D180, AP, wheel fairing and Lightning kit. I enjoy test flying but have still some problems. Can anyone help me?

My strobes does not work from time to time. Sometimes the fuse of the strobes goes bad as well.

I carefully checked the sockets of the strobes (which is the point I am most concered of), I checked all wires for ground short-cercuit, checked serveral times the electrical connection in the wing (still have the old version).
The problem of strobe faliture occurs more often during flight. I disconnected all wires of the cockpit lightning (because it is using the same fuse) to eliminate problems.

Could high voltage cause such a problem as well? Could the Elko cause a short-cercuit? Does anyone have some more ideas of a reason for my problem?

Thanks for any reply!

Ell

The most likely cause of the strobe failure is the connection at the wing root. I suggest replacing the connectors with some other type, definitely not aluminum riveted to plastic.
Also check the autopilot disconnect switch wiring under the panel for short circuit to ground.
What is the Elko? Is it part of the lighting kit (that I do not have)?
Joe Gores

Back