What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 K&N Air Filters

MartySantic

Well Known Member
Do not follow the instructions as supplied by the K&N filter instruction sheet after cleaning. The sheet instructs one to apply a relatively heavy film of oil to each filter pleat. Per the rotaxowner.com video you want a LIGHT misting of oil to ensure oil is NOT ingested into the carb.

Lots of good videos on rotax-owner.com

Hi Marty,

Your absolutely right. Too much oil reduces oil flow and then excess oil gets sucked into the carb and helps make a mess. A light coating is all you need.

On my RV-7A, after doing a few years of cleaning/re-oiling, I decided that my time is worth the cost of a new air filter.

I don't bother to clean anymore. I just replace.

Great, something else I am apparently doing wrong - makes you wonder how Orville and Wilbur ever did it! :D

They didn't. They got by-passed by everyone else. :)

p.s.
Never use gasoline or a harsh chemical solvent on a K&N. It will ruin the gauze element. A water based degreaser like Simple Green or my favorite Oil Eater will do an excellent job removing greasy oily dirt. Let it dry well and then apply a light coat of K&N filter oil. I have a plastic jug with a lid that used to have a bunch of peanuts in it. It's new job is washer. Now I drop the filter(s) in it with some hot water and Oil Eater and shake a little like a washing machine and then rinse in hot water and they are nice and clean. Been doing it this way for 15 years. The water based cleaners like Oil Eater or Simple Green will not harm your filter. Piece of cake.

Last edited:
Here's a question for you guys with a lot of experience with these filters. I operate in a non-dusty environment, and after 200 hours and three years my filters look like they just came out of the boxes. Is there any reason to clean them?

Hi Marty,

When I say hot I could have tempered that subjective term a little. How is really warm water verses hot water that might be construed as 180F+ or even boiling. That wouldn't be good.
Poor terminology on my part. sorry.

As far as having filters with 200+ hours and three years of service, clean them. There will be dust that you can't see and no way to actually gauge their performance by looking at them. Cleaning them is easy and then you don't have to guess if they might need cleaning or their performance..

K&N filter media is made of cotton.

Cotton clothing is washed in cold water to avoid causing it to shrink...
Same reason cold water is specified for rinsing the filter ( the recommended cleaner is what does the cleaning).

Warm water

K&N filter media is made of cotton.

Cotton clothing is washed in cold water to avoid causing it to shrink...
Same reason cold water is specified for rinsing the filter ( the recommended cleaner is what does the cleaning).

Actually, the certified STC instructions (the same filters, just with FAA/PMA stamped on them) specifically say to use warm water.

That is just a set of instructions approved with an STC application process. The manufacturer of the filters says cool water
http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm

RV's aren't operating under a filter STC, so I would recommend using the filter manufacturers instructions since they probably know a thing or two about cleaning the filters they design and manufacturer.

That is just a set of instructions approved with an STC application process. The manufacturer of the filters says cool water
http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm

RV's aren't operating under a filter STC, so I would recommend using the filter manufacturers instructions since they probably know a thing or two about cleaning the filters they design and manufacturer.

I look at it the other way and think that the FAA-Approved STC instructions are the safest and most sure method for our aviation applications. :)

The aviation application instructions do not have the red aerosol oil as an approved material, which might be leading to some of the "too much oil applied" comments earlier.

"RV's aren't operating under a filter STC, so I would recommend using the filter manufacturers instructions since they probably know a thing or two about cleaning the filters they design and manufacturer."

Err... it's the exact same manufacturer... modifying his instructions for aviation use...

Given a choice, isn't it best to stay with the aviation instructions?

Last edited:
I would recommend using the filter manufacturers instructions since they probably know a thing or two about cleaning the filters they design and manufacturer.

Ha! not always so. Though it is not applicable to cleaning, I purchased some K&N fuel filters for installation in the suction line to fuel pumps. After consulting with the K&N engineering department, their research revealed they had no data of what micron the paper elements were constructed. At least they did have the decency to respond and admit the lack of data available. I am currently using known 40 micron stainless from Aeromotive.

Back