What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Intercom Issues & Debugging

Geico266

Well Known Member
The SL-40 radio is turned all the way up per instructions. I can barely hear the radio static, but not at a voluume that is good, no music, no side tone, there is power to the intercom.

I'll try adjusting the radio in the morning.

Any other ideas?

Well, thanks to Jeff at Vans I was able to quickly determine I had not properly grounded the small plugs for the head sets. Once I re-did them (per the plans) the system works great. A little fine tuning per the plans and I have a rock solid avionics package.

It never ceases to amaze me how the guys and gals at Vans can figure stuff out over the phone, and do it without making the caller feel stupid (even when he deserves it ;)) Exceptional customer service is what has made Vans what it is today. It nice to see the caring level of builders assistance continue.

Thanks Vans!

??

What small plugs for the headsets? The small headset plug is the mic, it has isolation washers. Do you mean the 1/8" music plug? or? What page does the plans talk about grounding headset plugs?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I need to understand.
Thanks,
Tony

These are the headset plugs. All I know is one plug is grounded and one is not. You can check them with an OHM meter. Took care of my problem, thanks to Vans tech support.

Got it

OK, thanks Larry and Michael,
My ohmmeter showed the large I.D. headphone jack to be grounded, but there is paint there and just to be sure tomorrow I'm going to take off the nut and take off the paint under it with a small wire brush in the Dremel (pilot and copilot).

Every little fix like this helps.

Tony

FYI, I also found a broken wire on the music input jack. They are very small wires and it is easy to bump it while you are working in that area. It might be a good idea to support the wires coming off the music jack with a strain relief to protect those wires while you are installing the plug and working in that area. If you do break one and need to rework it remember these wires are sheilded.

Back