What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 in VA, checkout flying needed.

orenjr

I am looking for an RV12 owner in VA that would be willing to log several hours in order to get a checkout in as soon as possible to satisfy the insurance company. The pilot is commercially and instrument rated. If anyone is willing to help us out, please call Oren at 540-478-7967 or email [email protected]. Thanks!

Check out or number of hours

I am curious what the insurance company is requiring. I have heard others say they needed 10 hours in make and model to have coverage during the first 10 hours in their new plane. And others said they needed a "check-out" so this could very based on experience.

I hope you are able to find someone in your area to provide what the insurance requires.

Recvd a quote from chartis and Starr thru AOPA, I need 1 hr of dual from a cfi in type and then 2 solo hrs before passengers (after fly off hrs)

Checkout needed anywhere .

Looks like there are no rv12s in VA . Is ther anyone in any surrounding states willing to help us out? We can fly where ever needed. Please call me at (540) 478-7967 or email me at [email protected] Thanks! Oren

Looks like there are no rv12s in VA . Is ther anyone in any surrounding states willing to help us out? We can fly where ever needed. Please call me at (540) 478-7967 or email me at [email protected] Thanks! Oren

Hard to believe there are no 12s in Virginia. Did you get Van's to send you a list?

Jerre

I am flying a 12 that first flew in late December. I am living at Ocracoke for the summer, and will be at 5NC5 near Chapel Hill for the winter. Where in Virginia are you located. William Griffin

My insurance quotes:

5 hours dual + 5 hours solo prior pax
1 hour dual with Mike Seager + 2 hours solo prior pax
3 hours dual with Mike Seager + 2 hours solo prior pax
3 hours dual any CFI + 2 hours solo prior pax.

Bob Bogash
N737G

I am looking for an RV12 owner in VA that would be willing to log several hours in order to get a checkout in as soon as possible to satisfy the insurance company. The pilot is commercially and instrument rated. If anyone is willing to help us out, please call Oren at 540-478-7967 or email [email protected]. Thanks!

I could not find anyone on the east coast, see my post http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=87479

John is a great guy and a very nice 12.

Just to be clear, you are asking some RV12 owner to let you fly his plane for free. It is contrary to the FARs to pay for the use of an experimental aircraft unless the owner has a waiver (LODA) from the FAA.

It is also very likely that such an operation would not be covered by the owner's insurance, unless special arrangements were made with the insurance company.

Bob

FAA rules

This is an area where the FAA could really lighten up a bit for safety.

Their report shows a high accident rate during the first few hours for people purchasing and transitioning to experimental aircraft, but it's almost impossible to find training. The inability to find training is the result of the FAA rules being so strict (IMHO).

I was really lucky to find Pierre Smith, instructor,builder, RV owner. Finding all three in one person is very rare (thank you again Pierre).

Vans can help a bit, but for the east coast guys it's a long ride out.

Helping each other out

Lynn
I agree 100%

First Flight without transition training can be accomplished some of the time.
It makes no sense to play these Odds
Helping someone out and letting them pay for your gas and lunch should not be a problem in my view
Helping each other out should be what this sport is about
MY View
Joe Dallas

This is an area where the FAA could really lighten up a bit for safety.

Their report shows a high accident rate during the first few hours for people purchasing and transitioning to experimental aircraft, but it's almost impossible to find training. The inability to find training is the result of the FAA rules being so strict (IMHO).

I was really lucky to find Pierre Smith, instructor,builder, RV owner. Finding all three in one person is very rare (thank you again Pierre).

Vans can help a bit, but for the east coast guys it's a long ride out.

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, I have a LODA (waiver) from the FAA to give transition training in my RV-10. The FSDO wasn't particularly difficult with this.

However, I have been unable to find insurance coverage for this activity at anything near reasonable rates. I know I'm not alone in this. The insurance cost makes it uneconomical for me.

The insurance companies want you to have some training, but they are also the ones making it hard to find.

Back