What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 glareshield and mounting GPS

I am interested in adding external GPS receiver for my I-pad as back up to skyview. Would the glareshield that Vans sells be a good spot to mount the unit and what is the best unit? Dual or Bad Elf or other?

The glareshield is an excellent place to mount the GPS or Apple Mini IPad. I laid a bead of silicone adhesive along the shield and used pop rivets every 4 inches so mine is rock solid. I bolted a RAM ball mount to the shield and it works perfectly. It doesn't even vibrate in flight. See the link to the pic I posted on the mods thread.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/168inhx.jpg

The glareshield is an excellent place to mount the GPS or Apple Mini IPad. I laid a bead of silicone adhesive along the shield and used pop rivets every 4 inches so mine is rock solid. I bolted a RAM ball mount to the shield and it works perfectly. It doesn't even vibrate in flight. See the link to the pic I posted on the mods thread.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/168inhx.jpg

Timely post.....I like! Was looking at my panel pieces trying to picture "where"; your way looks good!

I have my spot mounted with velcro on the RV12 glare shield. No issues with vibration

I have used the Earthmate in my car and wondered if it could be adapted to aviation. It's about the size of a silver dollar and weighs a few grams. It comes with a sucky-cup, but a spot of velcro should work.

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10091
USB_GPS.jpg

Ric,

When you mount the ball get as close to the canopy bow as possible to get a good solid mounting. Also use a backing plate on top of the glare shield to spread the contact force of the mounting bolts. The curvature of the canopy makes it a good idea to bolt on the ball before you attach the glare shield or you will have to insert the bolts from the bottom and end up with the nuts on top - not a clean a look.

Rich

GPS receiver mount

I am interested in adding external GPS receiver for my I-pad as back up to skyview. Would the glareshield that Vans sells be a good spot to mount the unit and what is the best unit? Dual or Bad Elf or other?

Jay, since you say you want a receiver for your iPad then I see two mounting problems. The GPS receiver and the iPad. I use a combination like this.
I just place the iPad on the carpet on the tunnel, it will stay in place or you could use a bit of Velcro. Then I just pick it up if I want to look closely at traffic or something. The iPad can also be mounted with a ram mount to the right side of the SkyView Panel but I don't have room there because of the D100.
I use Foreflight on the iPad for flight planning and back-up GPS, ADSB weather, and traffic, so my GPS/ADSB receiver is the Stratus II. I mount the Stratus II with an optional suction cup to the back window right behind the roll bar.
i-WDzqvsR-L.jpg

This is a great mounting position. Good GPS and ADSB reception and it is totally out-of-the way. The only downside is that it is so out-of-the way that you may forget it in the aircraft. It is going to get a lot of sun in this position and I suppose it could overheat but that generally isn't a problem where you and I live.

The cradle comes with the Stratus II, and the suction cup gadget is an inexpensive option.
i-SG3T3w8-M.jpg

The Stratus II also has a built in AHRS which works with the free Horizon App on the iPad. This app gives you an EFIS on the 9" iPad screen, just in case your SkyView goes black in timbuktu, you could get home. They warn "not for primary reference", but in VFR your primary would be your outside view:
i-wmPJ2Tg-L.jpg

I actually don't need Horizon app EFIS because I have the D180 and a D100 for a back-up EFIS. But hey, the app is free.

You may note that where I have the Stratus mounted it is upside down and tilted up. That is because the cradle is not adjustable, but it doesn't need to be because the Horizon app is self calibrating and it compensates for any mounting position each time you turn in on. Ain't technology great! The only stipulation is that the LED end of the Stratus has to be pointed aft or the little airplane on the iPad will be going backwards.

There are many options for the iPad. I started out with Foreflight and Stratus and am happy with the way it works.

Last edited:
OK, OK - if you want just the antenna - maybe OK - operative world is "maybe" - the iPad or anything substantial - no way. That glareshield is great - but bounces and vibrates like h**l.....

Bob Bogash
N737G

Bob, I'm surprised yours bounces. Mine really is solid. I think the key is to get the mounting point close to the canopy bow so there isn't much of a moment arm. I really am totally satisfied with the rigidity of the mount. Maybe an IPad would be a problem, but the mini IPad is solid.

Nice looking installation. I have the D100 on the right side making it tough to mount the RAM ball on the panel, so the glare shield was the best choice for me. I put a 14V accessory socket on the ELT antenna bracket so I can put the Dual GPS170 box on top of the fuel tank and plug it in.

I was about to mount my glare shield today, and could not find any instructions! I THOUGHT it was supposed to have a screw into the pipe on each end, but I see some have pop riveted it every 4 inches - and some are flimsy and some are solid. Did anybody find a better way to mount it?

I bought mine from Vans and it came with no instructions too. There's an instruction sheet they sent me - send me a PM and I'll send it on to you, Don.

There's a rivet at each end and your choice of glue along the transverse canopy tube. I installed a rubber coaming on the aft edge I got from McMaster-Carr. Don't forget your black felt anti-reflection covering!

I checked mine again on Weds - it's plenty solid, but not solid enough to mount anything heavy on. My opinion.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Bob,

I agree that a full IPad would probably be too heavy, but I think you would be pleasantly surprised how solid a Mini IPad is.

Rich

Back