What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Gear Leg Hoses and other updates

Aircraft Specialty

Well Known Member
I just wanted to let everyone know that we have completed the beta testing on the new lengths of gear leg brake hoses for the RV-12.

These hoses fit great. We have a bit of slack in them that gets taken out near the fuselage fitting which is enough to absorb any sort of movement in the gear leg assembly. At the brake caliper, the installation is tightly conforming and will work with or without wheel pants/aftermarket fairings.

Please feel free to check these out at http://www.aircraftspecialty.com/rv-12.html or at www.tsflightlines.com

Also, I wanted to let everyone know that the canopy lock that we are working on is a very active project. The second pre production prototype has been sent out to our beta tester and should be arriving any day. Once we get feedback, we will make any minor tweaks and send out the first "production" version. Upon approval from our beta tester, we will release the product to market.

The rudder pedal extensions that we are working on in conjunction with Jerry Parr are in the CAD phase at the moment. We are making some minor modifications to this design and making some improvements where we can based on CNC capability. Since he was the original designer of this, he will be beta testing our "production" version for approval. We will keep everyone updated on this process.

Also, in works are crossover brake hose kits for the rv-12.

As you can tell, the process to release a product is slower than some would like. But, at Aircraft Specialty, our main focus is making sure that the products we deliver are top notch and tested before we send them out. As such, everything we design and build needs to go through extensive testing prior to release.

Hope everyone had a great holiday. Happy building, and I will keep everyone updated.

Steve

Another update on where we are with our current RV-12 projects:

1. Thermostasis install kit- This one has bumped to the top of the list at the moment, and we will be releasing it soon. We currently have the new hose lengths figured out and in beta install. We are just waiting for confirmation on the final install that everything fits and works great. We will be releasing this product as soon as we are able to get our install manual together.

2. Brake hoses- Gear leg hoses are complete and currently we have shipped a fair number of these with very favorable comments. We offer them in stainless braid or in a plastic coated version for abrasion protection. They fit with or without wheel pants and fairings.

3. Brake Crossover hoses- We currently have shipped out the beta set of brake crossover hoses for testing. These are a really neat and slick alternative to the plastic lines that come standard in the kit. We hope to have these lengths and this kit finalized in the next 4-6 weeks.

4. Canopy lock- This project has been on hold for a bit because we have been working on the hose lengths and keeping up with other orders. However, we have a prototype locking mechanism and this is going to be really slick once it is released. In addition, we are working to make sure that we will be able to use the same assembly on other RVs also, not just the -12. One of the components is better off machined on a lathe. We have been milling them, but are acquiring a CNC lathe which will make production quicker and easier. We are very excited about the canopy lock, but have been so backlogged with other components that it has taken a little bit.

In addition, we have ordered a whole bunch of custom locking screws for security on this locking assembly. We have been waiting for over 3 months for them to arrive. That has also slowed down this project because they are important in the final product. Once we have the cnc lathe, we will be able to build them ourselves.

5. The rudder pedal extensions are still in CAD phase. Once we clear out the backlog on some of these other items, we will be making this an active project again. We are planning on mid summer.

6. Instrument panel- We are also starting to explore some instrument panel options. Right now, we realize that most of the RV-12s are being built as E-LSA, but would love to offer a powdercoated and professional labeling option for builders. There are some neat things coming down the pipe here too. We are acquiring some new equipment over the next several months that will allow us to do some cool effects. More information to come on that later.

Have a great week and thank you all again for all your support.

Steve

Alot of stuff going on--

Like Steve said, there are alot of projects going on for Aircraft Specialty and TS Flightlines, both individually and together. WE partnered on several of the RV12 packages.
Ive been doing quite a bit of R&D on a new, flexible version of our standard teflon hose. Those of you with inverted oil systems know what a pain the -10 hoses can be, because they typically are pretty stiff. This new hose that we've been working on has the same qualities of standard teflon hose, but with much greater flexibility in larger sizes. We've gotten excellent results in some testing, and with the new hose ends under development, we feel this will be a great accessory.
Along that same line, I'm working on a new version of flop tube for the fuel tanks from this same hose in a -6 size. The benefit is no rubber liner to potentially fail from fuel additives.

A new high temp silicone firesleeve is currently under development. Same great heat resistance as AS1072 firesleeve, but fits tighter on the hose, allowing the assembly to be more flexible, AND have a smaller outside diameter. Excellent for firewall forward packages, and especially hoses that connect the servos to the flow dividers through the baffles. ( think of the hose you are now using, and a teflon -4 WITH firesleeve that is .430OD. )
Right now working on -4, and -6 sizes, with plans to test -8 and -10, AND the new flex version hose.

Some of you asked, so I started building hose packages for the RV10 cabin and tunnel brake and fuel hoses. Actually this started several years ago, but I've tweeked it some. Big changes to the boost pumps, filters, and flow transducer relocation still make it a challenge, but the basic configuration is the same. So--for the RV10 builders, I have a complete brake hose kit for the pedals and the cabin, a fuel hose package from the tanks to the firewall, gear legs, and of course, the FWF package.
For 7, 8, and 9 builders, I've updated some dimensions for the cabin packages for brakes and fuel.
As always, TS Flightlines is here to help all of you. Yep, I'm building a 7A, but it will be a while. I do alot of custom requests, because thats what experimental aircraft guys are all about!
I'll be updating my website with these packages when I get them completed.
Thanks the RV community for all of your support!
Tom

Like Steve said, there are alot of projects going on for Aircraft Specialty and TS Flightlines, both individually and together. WE partnered on several of the RV12 packages.
Ive been doing quite a bit of R&D on a new, flexible version of our standard teflon hose. Those of you with inverted oil systems know what a pain the -10 hoses can be, because they typically are pretty stiff. This new hose that we've been working on has the same qualities of standard teflon hose, but with much greater flexibility in larger sizes. We've gotten excellent results in some testing, and with the new hose ends under development, we feel this will be a great accessory.
Along that same line, I'm working on a new version of flop tube for the fuel tanks from this same hose in a -6 size. The benefit is no rubber liner to potentially fail from fuel additives.

A new high temp silicone firesleeve is currently under development. Same great heat resistance as AS1072 firesleeve, but fits tighter on the hose, allowing the assembly to be more flexible, AND have a smaller outside diameter. Excellent for firewall forward packages, and especially hoses that connect the servos to the flow dividers through the baffles. ( think of the hose you are now using, and a teflon -4 WITH firesleeve that is .430OD. )
Right now working on -4, and -6 sizes, with plans to test -8 and -10, AND the new flex version hose.

Some of you asked, so I started building hose packages for the RV10 cabin and tunnel brake and fuel hoses. Actually this started several years ago, but I've tweeked it some. Big changes to the boost pumps, filters, and flow transducer relocation still make it a challenge, but the basic configuration is the same. So--for the RV10 builders, I have a complete brake hose kit for the pedals and the cabin, a fuel hose package from the tanks to the firewall, gear legs, and of course, the FWF package.
For 7, 8, and 9 builders, I've updated some dimensions for the cabin packages for brakes and fuel.
As always, TS Flightlines is here to help all of you. Yep, I'm building a 7A, but it will be a while. I do alot of custom requests, because thats what experimental aircraft guys are all about!
I'll be updating my website with these packages when I get them completed.
Thanks the RV community for all of your support!
Tom

The problem with Tom and I is that we don't sleep much. We talk daily and sometimes send emails back and forth about 1 AM. But, we LOVE doing this stuff, and it's been a great partnership working together and bringing new things to market. :)

I recently bought and installed the brake lines and they are a huge improvement. No more loop!

Back