What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 fuel gauge readings

G CGYI now has about 40 hrs of flying in the UK.
Today when crossing the Wash, a 15 mile wide North Sea inlet, the readings on the "Dynon fuel gauge"( Analogue gauge output) dropped to Zero.
Pleased to say engine kept running so I could make a precautionary landing at the first airstrip, when back over dry land.
During the landing run the same gauge temporarily showed a believable fuel reading.Then back to Zero!
After shutdown I eye balled the sight holes on the side of the tank, and there was the amount of fuel I expected to be there.
Does any one have experience of any types of failure re.the sensor fitted in the tank??
Or do I need to look in other areas to correct this?
PS I never believe the fuel readings derived from the flow meter but quickly checked these figures as soon as the analogue gauge went to zero. This restored a bit of confidence whilst waiting for the engine to cough and stop!

Many have added a ground wire from the tank, not relying on just the bolts, and reported better results. Do a search on that.

Thank you Jet Guy and Bill H for your guidance towards earthing/ Ground connection being the root cause.
A simple wire from the sender mounting plate to a fuel tank mounting bolt had it sorted in no time.
Reflecting on the incident it is a surprise to me that there ever was a return path to the sender given all the sealant that is between the sender and inspection/ mounting plate .... and again the sealant between that and the tank.
I believe Vans should have given clear instructions to fit an earth/ ground wire!!!
Thanks again guys
Richard

Back