What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12; Fuel Contamination Prevention

Geico266

Well Known Member
Another thread got me to thinking about the possibility of using mogas to fill the RV-12 and the problems of what can / and will happen using "cans" to fill your airplane. Here are a few pointer I have encountered and learned during my UL years.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=55793

My years of ultra light experience feeding the Rotax 912 has helped me see that this is not paranoia, it is fact. Contaminated fuel will bite your butt hard of you do not take is seriously. Please come up with a "fuel handling plan" to ensure you are using CLEAN fuel.

I am no expert, but I have developed a few rules to keep the contaminated fuel out of my airplane.

1. All gasoline contains dissolved water. When the fuel is cooled (as in flying into colder air) the dissolved water will come "out of solution" and settle to the bottom of the tank. Most water is ingested by the engine and you never know it was there. Water that collects in the tanks can become a problem if it is allowed to collect. Sump your tanks with enough volume to purge the fuel line in the -12 first flight of the day. No exceptions, No excuses. Even if you have done this 100 times and never found a drop of water, keep doing it. Eventually, you may be surprised.

2. Do not use gas that is more than 30 days old. For every 30 days mogas looses 1-2 octane points. It's not designed to to stored like 100ll. At a bare minimum add 50% fresh fuel to the tank to dilute to old fuel. Be mindful of your fuel's age. Fresh fuel is your 912's best friend.

3. Get in the habit of filtering your fuel if you use cans. Don't pour the last 1/2 gallon of your can into your plane. Leave it in the jug and look at it very closely. Inspect it. Look for water. Don't know what water looks like in fuel? add a 1/4 cup to the can and take a look so you know. Use your Mr. Funnel to get the water and fuel separate. Dump the extra fuel from the funnel back into your containers. Please! Do not take chances.

4. Ask me how I know this! ;)

Feel free to add or discuss other fuel care details. Set your standards very high for keeping your fuel clean and fresh. Be "annal", be a fanatic, be superstitious, just be safe!

fuel_tank.JPG

The above tank I built with dual filters and a sump drain on the bottom. The nozzle has a fuel "counter" so I can keep track of gallons used. So far I have pumped 6,000 gallons though this tank. Sorry for the rant, but this subject is very near and dear to me.

If you are serious about flying, get serious about your fuel. Don't be afraid to use & store mogas, just be smart about it.

JMHO

Last edited:
Good info...

Another thread got me to thinking about the possibility of using mogas to fill the RV-12 and the problems of what can / and will happen using "cans" to fill your airplane. Here are a few pointer I have encountered and learned during my UL years.
If you are serious about flying, get serious about your fuel. Don't be afraid to use & store mogas, just be smart about it.

JMHO

This is excellent advice from lessons learned. I plan to heed it. Another tip: Marty S. did some good research on refueling systems. The Flo-Fast system he decided on has an additional benefit, which is that the pump can be turned backwards to empty the 20 gallon fuel tank in a couple of minutes. Sure beats running all that fuel through the fuel system and gascolator if you need to empty the tank (like at the annual condition inspection). And if you have to leave Mogas in the tank for an extended period of time it makes sense to pump it out and burn in your truck or something.
821014039_WUbAa-S.png
The Flo-Fast fuel transfer system.
I ordered it with an optional 5' of hose extension ($14) so I can reach it down in the tank to pump it out.
Tony

Last edited:
nice little refueling trailer larry. It is super easy with a tank of that size to run your pickup tube about 3-4 inches from the bottom, anything bad in the bottom will not get sucked up hopefully until you really have a lot of junk in there. you'd still have to clean it out eventually i think. That is the way my farm diesel tank is setup, i have an oval 225 gal? tank with about 4-5 inches of extra range down from the bottom of the pickup tube. I know there is corroded metal in the very bottom of my tank, i've never seen it picked up in the fueling tube or the filter.

Nice tank and trailer. If it were me, I would improve the way the nozzle is stored to prevent the end of the nozzle from contamination while is the store/transport position. :)

Bevan

Nice tank and trailer. If it were me, I would improve the way the nozzle is stored to prevent the end of the nozzle from contamination while is the store/transport position. :)

Bevan

Excellant point! Good eye! That is what I'm talking about right there! Be critical! Clean fuel is no accident. :D ;)

Part of my "proceedure" is to turn the pump on and run 2-3 gallons of fuel back into the tank using my Mr. Funnel. This way any contamination goes back into the tank to be filtered to 10 micron again. I am always leary of the hoses breaking down and dumping debris in to the tanks. Good catch!

Last edited:
This all seems like an awful lot of trouble to use car gas. Wouldn't it be a whole lot simpler to fill up with 100LL at the airport and do whatever you're supposed to do like change the oil more often? After all, you're not going to be able to get mogas when you're on a cross-country anyway.

When I decided on the RV-12 kit I thought the literature said 100LL OR mogas could be burned, if the proper precautions were taken. I really don't want to become a gasoline distributor!

Am I under thinking this?

While the literature says you can run 100LL the real world experience has been it is better not to. The engine tolerances are tight, and lead build up in the engine over time has can become an issue. Using 100LL cross country is fine, follow the Rotax recommendations, but continuous use is not recommended, IMHO. The savings of over $1.50 / gallon is incentive for me, I'm cheap!

Talk to some Rotax repair stations for up todate info.

JMHO.

Last edited:
Hey Big John

If you use 100LL, you will need to change the oil 3 - 4 times more often. That cost should be looked at also. If you figure the cost of gas difference, and oil change cost, you can pay for the trailer system in a year or so depending upon how much you fly. The trailer gas system can last for many years with good care. Yes, a little more hassle, but it is cost effective.

John Bender

Static Electricity

Don't forget that plastic does not conduct electricity. ( I checked with my multimeter) Because of that its a great place for static electricity to accumulate. Continuously pouring car gas from 5 gallon containers is not safe. While Larry's system is ugly, it does conduct electricity and can be safely grounded at all times. Something to consider

Flo-Fast Refueler

I looked into the Flo-Fast refueling pump and see that there is a grounding clamp that is supplied with the pump. I emailed a distributor and inquired into how the plastic cans are grounded...perhaps there is more to this than appears. You can see the grounding clamp in the Flo-Fast photo in the photo above.

conductive plastic

Don't forget that plastic does not conduct electricity. ( I checked with my multimeter)
Some plastic has an additive that makes it conductive at higher voltages but not at low voltages, i.e., the anti-static bags that electronic components or computer parts come in. Those bags have infinite ohms if checked with an ohmmeter which uses 1 1/2 volts. I do not know, but hope that my 5 gallon gas cans are made of anti-static plastic. Are there any regulations pertaining to the conductivity of plastic gas cans?
Joe

I looked into the Flo-Fast refueling pump and see that there is a grounding clamp that is supplied with the pump. I emailed a distributor and inquired into how the plastic cans are grounded...perhaps there is more to this than appears. You can see the grounding clamp in the Flo-Fast photo in the photo above.

Yes, there is a cable static line with a clamp attached to the pump, but it is not shown in the picture above. The clamp in the picture is to secure the hose. Also, the picture shows a 15 gallon jug, the set up I got is two 7.5 gallon jugs, so I could fill them at a gas station and still easily pick them up and load them into the truck.
Tony

Joe

Joe,

I don't know of any regs but I have read of accidents resulting from the use of plastic gas containers and static electricity. Too scarey for me. I prefer grounded metal. I do know of some people who use the farm technique...put a large drum on a tower and use gravity feed. But of course you still need to fill the large drum.

Joe,

I don't know of any regs but I have read of accidents resulting from the use of plastic gas containers and static electricity. Too scarey for me. I prefer grounded metal. I do know of some people who use the farm technique...put a large drum on a tower and use gravity feed. But of course you still need to fill the large drum.

The local fuel supplier would be glad to do that for you. ;)

Pete! What do you mean "ugly trailer"? lol :mad: :D;)

Last edited:
Back