What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Flight Characteristic?

NCGAPilot

First off, I've never really flown an experimental aircraft before, I have been in a Piper Cherokee (140, 151 Warrior, 180) and a Cessna 172. So far my favorite aircraft in terms of handling would have to be the Cherokee, mainly because (to me), it had a more stable flying characteristic. Where as the C-172 required a lighter touch or else it would be all squirrely on you.

Is the RV-12 more in line with the Cherokee or the C-172 in terms of Flight Characteristic?

Hmmmm - -

I have flown an Archer, 172, 152, and the RV-12 is nothing like either to me. The controls on the 12 are so light, I don't think they can be compared. Just my opinion obviously. It compares to OTHER LIGHT planes in ways.

John Bender

I agree with John that it does fly similar to other LSA's. I don't have a ton of flying experience but I have flown the RV-12, S-19 and a couple Gobosh 700's. All of these are LSA and all in my opinion fly very similarly in terms of control responsiveness. I also have flown with folks who previously have flown 172's and tell me that the feeling in the Gobosh for instance is just so much more responsive.

My other flying experience while not officially a pilot in C-130's and RC-135 right seats indicates that the 12 is much more responsive than both of those :) I also have 47 mins in the back seat of a F-16D model and can say without a doubt it is more responsive than the 12 :)

Carl

Is the RV-12 more in line with the Cherokee or the C-172 in terms of Flight Characteristic?

I believe you will find all of the RVs more responsive than either Pipers or Cessnas, more like Grummans, perhaps even more so. They are often described as light and responsive. However, they are not twitchy. Many LSAs are similar.

Handling is a design goal and has nothing to do with what category the aircraft is certified in. Should you choose to go the E-LSA route, you are in essence assembling a factory certified design.

No real comparison

C-172, PA-28 - control yoke - you move use your arms to move the elevator/ailerons and make the aircraft go where you want it to.

My limited 'demo time' in the RV-12 - stick and you gently hold the stick in your finger tips and move your hands just a little bit in order to make it go where you want it to go - the difference in response is kinda like the difference between a 10 ton truck and a sports car - delightful.

Try to get a 'factory demo ride' or to find someone nearby who will give you a ride in an RV-12. There is a major difference in the RV-12 and a Piper or Cessna four seat airplane. Be forewarned that that 'demo ride' may well cost you $60-75 thousand dollars if you decide to build one. I did.

NCGA:

It's natural for you to be asking about how it 'feels' to fly a -12...and I'd agree with all the above responses. The best analogy for how a C172 felt to me is an old Chevy truck with manual steering. I was constantly working the trim wheel due to the physical workload otherwise asked of me by the yoke. The Cherokee series struck me as '1960's Impala-like', again that kinda loose, 'wait for it to respond to the control inputs' feel but without quite as much horsing around of the plane. When we began flying AA-5 Grummans, it was like a revelation. Same 4 seats, same hp up front, but far more responsive and with less workload (so much so I was told it was a bad IFR trainer...which turned out to be totally untrue). So I've always considered the Grummans the benchmark for 'responsive but stable' GA singles.

That benchmark bit the dust when I flew the -12, which was no less stable but f-a-r more responsive in the sense that very small control inputs are all that's needed, and I never felt that 'physical workload' sensation the other a/c demanded.

BUT I'd encourage you to move beyond 'how it flies' and be sure you form your own opinion on 'how it feels to fly in it' by which I'm referring to the small cockpit, the small stature of the plane, and the 'You can have any color you want so long as it's black...' nature of buying/building an E-LSA like the -12. Like all the LSA's I 'tried on' at Sebring's LSA Expo this year, things feel a bit 'intimate' when flying the -12, the resonant noise from the engine struck me as being distinctly different from the conventional Lycoming 4-cylinder, and there's little ability to adjust the cockpit to suit the pilot. As was suggested above, I'd encourage you to seek out a demo flight in a -12...and pay attention to how you feel about being in it, listening to it, and flying it. (In addition to VAF, you can get help from the folks at Van's to track down a relatively nearby -12 owner).

Good luck on the (ahem...) 'research'. What a great job you have ahead of you.

Jack

rv-12

With the stabilator, you will find it more similar to a cherokee, just more responsive.

Regards,

John
RV-6A
Cherokee 140

I have not had the pleasure of riding in a 12, but was wondering just how stable it is in cruise. I am putting the auto pilot in mine to make cruise more pleasant (I think). But in smooth air, does it fly hands off well?

I have not had the pleasure of riding in a 12, but was wondering just how stable it is in cruise. I am putting the auto pilot in mine to make cruise more pleasant (I think). But in smooth air, does it fly hands off well?

Don,

Yes, it is stable in level cruise and I would describe it as neutrally stable in a turn. Can be flow hands off in smooth air. Place the aircraft in the turn and it will continue to turn if trimmed. The roll rate at cruise can be suprisingly quick due to the full span flaperons. Very stable slow flight characteristics and won't produce a stall buffet or break until down to 35 KTS and aft CG. The visability is superb!

The most difficult thing to get used to is slowing the aircraft down in the pattern. If you are not below 60 KTS (heavy) to 50 KTS (solo), the airplane has significant float and little drag, even with full flaps. Short field landings can be done consistently once the pilot masters airspeed control.

Get a ride in a -12 soon. You won't be dissapointed!:)

Back