What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Finish Kit Service Note

Thank you for the prompt post.

NOT HAPPY!!!! The tank is complete here, at least I thought so, and leak free. This is a simple thread mate issue. SEND US a modifed strainer that will mate with the flange!!!! NOT a new flange. May have to send the entire tank back to Van's and let them modify it.

Last edited:
Well, I gave it a try with a 3/8"x18 NPT Pipe thread tap. I used a Channel Lock pliers (water pump pliers) built for pipe to hold the boss while I ran the tap about 3/4 ths the way in, worked great. Very little side pressure on the boss so I'm sure the seal is good. I packed the flutes of the tap with grease to try and catch as much of the chips as I could. All I need to do now is clean the tank out by flushing it with fuel a couple of times. I'll filter the gas with cheese cloth and put it back in the gas can.

If you have already sealed your tank the boss can be tapped out without damaging the tank. Make sure you are using a sharp (new) tap. Don't use the one that has been bouncing around in your tool box for 10 years.....like mine. A tap this size can be sharpened on the grinder if you are careful, but a new tap will work better.

Well, I gave it a try with a 3/8"x18 NPT Pipe thread tap. I used a Channel Lock pliers (water pump pliers) built for pipe to hold the boss while I ran the tap about 3/4 ths the way in, worked great. Very little side pressure on the boss so I'm sure the seal is good. I packed the flutes of the tap with grease to try and catch as much of the chips as I could. All I need to do now is clean the tank out by flushing it with fuel a couple of times. I'll filter the gas with cheese cloth and put it back in the gas can.

If you have already sealed your tank the boss can be tapped out without damaging the tank. Make sure you are using a sharp (new) tap. Don't use the one that has been bouncing around in your tool box for 10 years.....like mine. A tap this size can be sharpened on the grinder if you are careful, but a new tap will work better.
Larry- I tried the same thing with a NEW 3/8-18 NPT tap , and all I got out of it was another half turn into the VA-210! That makes a total of 1 1/2 turns in- not nearly enough! The VA-261 should thread in about 3 to 4 turns. Luckily, unlike Marty and yourself, I had not yet installed the VA-210 in the tank bottom. It was at that point that I called VANS, and I guess, inadvertantly, initiated the recall process. Steve

Larry- I tried the same thing with a NEW 3/8-18 NPT tap , and all I got out of it was another half turn into the VA-210! That makes a total of 1 1/2 turns in- not nearly enough! The VA-261 should thread in about 3 to 4 turns. Luckily, unlike Marty and yourself, I had not yet installed the VA-210 in the tank bottom. It was at that point that I called VANS, and I guess, inadvertantly, initiated the recall process. Steve

You need to run the tap about 3/4's of the way in to the boss. The threads in the boss are NPT (National Pipe Threads) and are tampered. The threads need to be cut deeper. Back the tap up every 1/4 turn to break the chips, and load the tap with grease to minimize chips in the tank. Try it again, I know you are going to get a new one, but this is a good time to experiment for those who have built the tanks already.

Here is a picture of mine. When I started there were only 2 threads contacting the boss, now it is about 3/4 the way in per specs. The gripping tool did leave a mark on the boss, but if you are careful you could do it without a mark. I got a little carried away with gripping the boss to protect the tank skin. BTW the tank is full of 19.6 gallons of fuel to test the boss. The tank is sound and no leaks.

RV-12_Boss.JPG

Last edited:

Steve,

Did they ever give you any idea when they were going to send out the new parts? I'm like you...haven't put it in yet and keep considering whether to try and tap it or not like Larry did.

Steve,

Did they ever give you any idea when they were going to send out the new parts? I'm like you...haven't put it in yet and keep considering whether to try and tap it or not like Larry did.
Pete- I got my replacement VA-210 from VANS last Friday. The new part worked just fine- the VA-261 easily threaded in about 4 turns, just like it's supposed to, so I went ahead and installed it in the tank. Steve

Got mine today

Laid the tank across a couple saw horses and drilled up from the bottom. The pieces inside were close by that way. Got all 6 pieces out and the new piece gooooo'd on in less than an hour. Start new pressure test in a few days.

John Bender

Laid the tank across a couple saw horses and drilled up from the bottom. The pieces inside were close by that way. Got all 6 pieces out and the new piece gooooo'd on in less than an hour. Start new pressure test in a few days.

John Bender
John- How long are you waiting for the sealant to cure? I just finished my tank today. I plan on doing the balloon test on the tank first, but then I'm going to put 20 gallons of gas in the tank, before I install it in the airplane. I suppose I'm being ultra conservative, but I've just got to prove to myself that it won't leak, before it goes in the fuselage. Steve P.S. How long to cure before gas goes in the tank?

Hi Steve

I think they said a week to fully cure. I have waited maybe 3 days and started the pressure/balloon test. Not sure I would put in gas until it was a week old. Just my thoughts however - nothing official for sure.

John Bender

I think they said a week to fully cure. I have waited maybe 3 days and started the pressure/balloon test. Not sure I would put in gas until it was a week old. Just my thoughts however - nothing official for sure.

John Bender
Thanks, John- I guess I'll give it a week. In the meantime, I'm going to attack those two cowl pieces. Steve

Hi Steve

They'll keep you occupied for a few days ! Can't paint them either, at least per the instructions. That is why I am out of things to do now.

John Bender

No Rivets

Received the new Flange today. Didn't come with any rivets. Won't be able to replace it until I order some more. :mad:

Sight glass

Looks like we have another problem with the tank. The sight glass is crazing. I got my finishing kit today. I hope Van finds the cure before I need to start my tank.

I just finished my tank yesterday, needless to say, I am NOT a happy camper. I lucked out with the VA-210 last week, and had not installed it when the advisery came out, so fixing that problem was only a matter of waiting for the replacement to arrive. This new problem with the fuel sight window, is another story! Building that tank, with that nasty tank sealant, was by far, the worst job of the build. The thought of having to disassemble it now, is not something I want to contemplate. I'll wait and see what VANS comes up with, but "sorry for the inconvenience", just does not cut it! Steve

Back