What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Factory Built Tank

txaviator

Well Known Member
I opted for the factory built fuel tank.

Would I be correct to assume that the factory did full leak tests before sending the tank?

I'm just thinking ahead before I start the finishing kit. I couldn't find anything in the archives. Any idea?

Thanks,

I opted for the factory built fuel tank.

Would I be correct to assume that the factory did full leak tests before sending the tank?

I'm just thinking ahead before I start the finishing kit. I couldn't find anything in the archives. Any idea?

Thanks,
Yes, you should test it, but as a data point mine was perfect.

Thanks. I plan to fully test it. I was just wondering to what extreme the factory might have done so too. Hoping mine is OK like Dave's!

Thanks folks.

Am I the only one who likes the smell of proseal?
This forum is great but due to all the negative stories on VAF I was afraid to start the tank. I found it an ok job to do. All the tools where layout before the mixing of the proseal and the tank was ready in a few hours.

I did the mod (only AFTER I had broken the seal tightening a fitting onto the tank, making a leak)
If I had it to do over, I would only consider a fitting riveted on like the outlet fitting on the tank. Anytime you break that seal, you will have a leak. Not sure how well the "mod" will work to prevent that.

Absolutely test the tank first. Years ago I bought the RV-6A quick build kit and both tanks leaked. I am sure things are better now. But Ronald Reagan said,"Trust but verify.". Words to live by...

Back