What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 data plate

JRo

Well Known Member
I'm finished with the build, running through the Production Acceptance Procedure. I weighed my plane today (771 lbs) and ready to inscribe the data plate. Since this will be permanent, just wanted to be sure: "Manufactured By" is Vans Aircraft Inc, correct? "Date of MFG" is what? The day I finished the build? And lastly, the "Engine" is Rotax 912, yes?

My FAA guy is not around, and most of Vans regular crew is at Oshkosh, so I thought I'd bounce it off this brain pool....

Thanks,
Jim R.
N448JR

According to your registration, you have listed "James E Rogers" as builder.

This indicates that your are building Experimental Amateur-Built.
Therefore your data plate must match that.

Required data on the data plate is Make, that is you. Model, RV-12, and serial number, 120621.

Anything else on the data plate is optional.

Officially the date of manufacture will be the date of certification. Since that pretty hard to pin down, most people just use the month and year. But you don't have to put anything.

If you are building as ELSA, you will need to change your registration listing Vans Aircraft Inc as the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Based on my experience with building ELSA, ask the DAR or FAA inspector what he would like to see on the data plate.

I agree with Mel and David on both responses. Suggestion you call the Oklahoma FAA office regarding your Registration, if you did not want to build as a EAB. The FAA or DAR is the only one that should answer this.

See my registration for a RV12 EAB and the next one is a friends RV12 built as a E-LSA.

RV12 EAB Registration
REG valcik.jpg

RV12 E-LSA Registration
REG Mark.jpg

Last edited:
Mel,

Thanks. I am registering ELSA. My FAA guy, Al Miller, Albany NY Maintenance, warned me NOT to list myself as the builder on FAA Form 8130-6, which I have not. Also, on my pink copy of AC 8050-1 (registration app) I listed Vans Aircraft Inc as Manufacturer. I have not received my white copy back yet, but I'm concerned that FAA Registry lists me as Manufacturer on their registry website.

My registration has been back & forth between home & OKC 3 times since April due to FAA oversight(s) and I certainly don't relish the thought of more snags, as it will result in flight delays from now on.

All this is why I hesitate to inscribe anything on the data plate of which I'm not dead certain. Are you positive I should inscribe my name as the manufacturer?

Thanks,
Jim
N448JR

I agree with Mel and David on both responses. Suggestion you call the Oklahoma FAA office regarding your Registration, if you did not want to build as a EAB. The FAA or DAR is the only one that should answer this.

See my registration for a RV12 EAB and the next one is a friends RV12 built as a E-LSA.

RV12 EAB Registration
REG valcik.jpg

RV12 E-LSA Registration
REG Mark.jpg

This is not a "what a person prefers issue". It is specifically stated in the FAA order that the kit manufacturer will be listed as the manufacturer for aircraft certificated as Experimental Operating Light Sport Kit Built. If it is listed differently, it was not done meeting the requirements for certification in that category.

Certifications are done wrong all the time. By FAA people and DAR's.
Browse through the FAA data base... you will find about a dozen RV's certificated Experimental Amateur Built, with Van's Aircraft Inc. listed as the manufacturer :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This is not a "what a person prefers issue". It is specifically stated in the FAA order that the kit manufacturer will be listed as the manufacturer for aircraft certificated as Experimental Operating Light Sport Kit Built. If it is listed differently, it was not done meeting the requirements for certification in that category.

Certifications are done wrong all the time. By FAA people and DAR's.
Browse through the FAA data base... you will find about a dozen RV's certificated Experimental Amateur Built, with Van's Aircraft Inc. listed as the manufacturer :rolleyes:

rvbuilder2002,

I agree partially, but a builder needs to clarify what type of aircraft is being built, EAB or ELSA before registration. VANs also provide documentation for both types. A person can chose to register the RV12 as a ELSA or an EAB. The EAB would not be a Light Sport Aircraft, but could be flown by a Light Sport pilot. .

Depending on the type EAB or ELSA is what is listed in the Manufactured By

That is my understanding.

Mel,
Thanks. I am registering ELSA. My FAA guy, Al Miller, Albany NY Maintenance, warned me NOT to list myself as the builder on FAA Form 8130-6, which I have not. Also, on my pink copy of AC 8050-1 (registration app) I listed Vans Aircraft Inc as Manufacturer. I have not received my white copy back yet, but I'm concerned that FAA Registry lists me as Manufacturer on their registry website.
My registration has been back & forth between home & OKC 3 times since April due to FAA oversight(s) and I certainly don't relish the thought of more snags, as it will result in flight delays from now on.
All this is why I hesitate to inscribe anything on the data plate of which I'm not dead certain. Are you positive I should inscribe my name as the manufacturer?

If you are building ELSA, registration MUST list VANS AIRCRAFT INC as manufacturer. Your data plate MUST match the registration exactly!

There is no upside to putting more info on the data plate than the mandatory. Only downside.

Depending on the type EAB or ELSA is what is listed in the Manufactured By

I agree and is what I meant to say.

You posted you agreed with Mel and Dave. Dave said ask the inspector what they would like to see on the data plate.

The intent of my post was to point out that for many of them, what they would like to see is wrong. Builders need to understand the differences in certification, choose what they want, and then make sure they know what should be on the data plate and all of the application documents.

IMHO it is better for the fed or dar to be wrong than for you or I to be wrong!

But you also need to understand that if the FAA inspector or DAR is wrong, that still doesn't place you in the clear. Wrong is wrong regardless of whose fault it is.
As I've stated before, neither FAA inspectors nor DARs have the authority to deviate from the regulations.

Back