What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Cowl

Walt Shipley

I'm currently fitting up the cowl and have a question for those of you who have already done this; Would it be better to wait until I install the engine & spinner to do this? There is a warning in the cowl instructions regarding "pushing and pulling" the cowl to make it fit since doing so might result in a poor fit with the spinner.

I was able to make the lower cowl fit with very little sanding, but the top cowl is a different story. The left aft edge lacks about 1/8 - 1/4" when I attach it to the lower cowl with the two front clecos. I can push the cowl aft and make it fit, but I'm concerned by doing so it will affect the spinner fit.

Walt Shipley

Walt, some have had no problems with doing it now. Others have experienced nightmares doing it now. I am with the latter. It will be very nice to have the engine in place and a prop hub and spinner to help fit everything. In looking back, I think you have little to lose and much to gain by waiting. JMO. Personally, I would not touch it again until you have the engine. Again JMO and good luck. Keep building it is a great project.

Last edited:
do wait ...

I had my engine installed for me by another builder, due to my 2nd. triple bypass surgery. When the engine was installed the spinner-cowling was tight on top and OK on the bottom, or the opposite, I don't remember ... but I do know it was not right. He had to rework the piano hinge on the cowling. He has built many other RV's and he couldn't believe I was instructed to fit the cowling before I had installed the engine.

Save yourself some heartache and wait till your engine is installed to do the cowling.

Just my opinion ... others out there know far more than I do.

Last edited:
If you want a good fit, where the cowl and the spinner line up correctly, wait. But plan on taking the cowl on and off a bunch of times while you tweak it.

Back