What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 cooling issues solved

Mikeacro

I'm New Here
A friend recently aquired a very nice RV12. During climbout we noiticed the temps were in the yellow arc and just below redline, and a few times in the red with the alarms going off. The rpm was over 5500 during the climb so appeared to be under pitched. At 4500 msl with full throttle we could exceed 5800 rpm. The engine had the evans waterless coolant as well. after the flight we taxied back in and CHT's were just in the red. After speaking with our local IA who has over 4000 hrs operating experience with the Rotax 912's, he recomended we switch to the Dex Cool they use with Zero cooling problems. He also said we were well under pitched. I sent a email to Vans and Ken got back to us right away and had us go to PAP G6 and set the pitch acordingly. We now static 5010 RPM and climb at 75IAS at just under 5200 with all temps well within the green. 223 was the highest I saw the oil temp. At full throttle at 4500 msl it turns just under 5500 RPM. Here's what we got @ 4500 msl. @5100 RPM: 102 IAS, Oil temp-192, EGT-1287/1289, CHT-168/171, 23" map, 5.1 GPH. All seems to be well.:)
Cheers

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Mike, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Thanks for sharing your fix with the gang.

........ he recomended we switch to the Dex Cool they use with Zero cooling problems. .....Cheers

Your post is not entirely clear. Did you switch to the Dex Cool or not? I would like to know just for a reference point. John

Sorry, I haven't been on the site for a while. Yes, we did switch to dex cool. And during the test flights, the OAT varied from 28 down to 18 at altitude. Just flew today from SNA to DVT. During the the climb the oil went to 248 as we went thru an inversion (OAT 33 ) and the settled down to 206 in cruise at 9500. Everything else was well within the green arc. A 2+47 flight and 14 gal fuel burn. Gotta love it!

Back