What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Component Lead Times

stevemottin

I'm New Here
Van's updated their kit component lead time estimator yesterday.
Kit delivery times on the RV-12 have gone out as much as 100%.

Lead time on wing kits is now at 14-16 weeks.

I wonder what this means?

I ordered my wings about a month ago and was given a ship date in the week of 11/09. I hope that still holds true as I'm finishing up the empennage/tailcone now and would prefer not to sit idle any longer than needed.

See :

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/kitprice.htm

for all new kit lead times.

Steve Mottin

RV-12 #255
N255SM (Reserved)

If you are concerned about your shipping date just call them and ask. They are usually right on the money or a week early.

Lead times

I mailed a check for the avionics on Saturday. I had the shipment from Stein on the following Tuesday, (4 days) and Van's portion on Friday (6 days) even though the web site said several weeks. Hard to beat that.

Wonder what caused the increases

This does seem a bit strange- appears the airframe subkits all increased (avionics and powerplant did not change though). Not clear why- some of these increases are significant. All of the subkits with increased lead times are largely produced in-house whereas the avionics and powerplant rely significantly on external suppliers.

As others have said, they are usually pretty close when they provide you a shipping date on the order confirmation. The only subkit so far where I experienced a delay was the wing kit but then I was in the original batch of orders when the RV-12 was first released and they were having some spar issues with an external supplier that put things behind. Everything else has been right on target.

Should not be a surprise that the lead times have increased now that some of the initial kits are now flying!!

What RV-12 kit number is the latest??

Lead Times

I agree with Marty. I know alot of people that were waiting to see if the thing could really fly before they ordered. Now that its a proven product...it should gain lots of popularity. I will be finished soon myself, bugs are all worked out now so the non-beta testers are ready to go. Van's will catch up to the lead times...they always do.

Latest RV-12 Kit number?

My RV-12 kit is number 255 shipped the last of August.

Who has a later kit number and when did it ship?

Also note that the RV-10 sub-kits also show a drastic increase in lead times.

Steve Mottin
RV-12 #255
N255SM (Reserved)

Just picked up #285

I bought my tail kit Friday and brought it home yesterday. I was told that there were a limited number of slots for wing kits in December and January.

Last edited:
I wonder if they're not having issues with the vender that fabricates their spars, again. As I recall, the spars were farmed out to an independent fabricator. Steve

I wonder if they're not having issues with the vender that fabricates their spars, again. As I recall, the spars were farmed out to an independent fabricator. Steve

Steve, I think I read in the Rvator that Vans are now producing the Spars "in house".

I bought my tail kit Friday and brought it home yesterday. I was told that there were a limited number of slots for wing kits in December and January.

Welcome to VAF

You are gonna love building the -12. Congrats on your decision, and welcome.

Last edited:
I am #76 but ordered the finishing kit the end of September....was told to expect it the week of Thanksgiving....when I read about the slippage of lead times, I inquired. Anne replied my shipping date now is 12/21...another month!

Back