What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Certification E-LSA

Stache

I'm New Here
Hello Builders,

I am new to your forum and will be certifying the first E-LSA in the states this month to a builder in Northern California. I also happen to be an FAA Inspector so don?t let that bother anyone.

I got my first look at the aircraft this past week and was nicely surprised with the kit and workmanship. I copied all the builder manuals and documents he received from Van?s and discovered the Conformity Statement 8130?15 form was incorrect and had the wrong ASTM standards called out on it. The correct form is in FAA Order 8130.2 figure 4-30 on page 244-3 for E-LSA aircraft. Figure 4-20 on g page 244-2 is for Special LSA aircraft two different standards.

I contacted the Light Sport branch AFS-640 and Van?s and pointed out the mistake. Sure enough Van?s agreed with me and will be sending new Conformity Statements to all the builders of E-LSA aircraft from Kits.

This is a paperwork issue and will not effect your kits. I will keep the group posted on our progress to test first flight and beyond.

So if you are build a E-LSA check your 8130-15 form it should not state ground and flight tested successrull and in in a condition for safe operation. This statement is for Special Light Sport Aircraft ONLY. The E-LSA will NOT have this statement in the certification block.

Last edited:
Hello Builders,

I am new to your forum and will be certifying the first E-LSA in the states this month to a builder in Northern California. I also happen to be an FAA Inspector so don?t let that bother anyone.

Just to clarify...you will actually be certifying the second E-LSA RV-12. The first is registered N912VA and is owned by Vans Aircraft. See it at http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/flights2.htm about 1/3 of the way down the page.

P.S. It was certificated using all of the correct paperwork (8130-15, etc.) all of the subsequent documentation packages sent to builders had the wrong form template accidentally used.

On the Bill Of Sale form 8050-2 you will need to add the words "Van's Aircraft, INC" in the box labeled "AIRCRAFT MANUFACTURER & MODEL". All they have now is "RV-12". It remains to be seen of the FAA Registration folks will kick it back because we added it after it was signed. I have had them kicked back from the FAA becuase I changed something after it was signed, I forget to put a period after INC. No, I'm not kidding.

Van's is aware.

Last edited:
The first RV-12 was cetified by MIDO and was certified as a Special to proof the kit or (original). Ship number 002 is the first Experimental or (recurrent) certification by a FSDO. Both come with a statement of compliance -15, but they read different and call out different ASTM standards. FAR 21.193 covers the certification requirements for Kits.

Stache,

Please let us know how we can simply look at the Form 8130-15 that Van's has sent to us and determine if another must be sent because it is error.

I tried to look at the references in your initial post and became VERY confused.

The 8130-15 that was sent to me, in Section III, Comments it states....Van's Aircraft Incorporated manufactured and assembled Van's Aircraft, Inc. RV-12, serial # 002, N412RV, which was issued a special airworthiness certificate in the special light sport category on 7/20/09.

The ASTM Standards called out on my 8130-15 are ASTM Standards F2245-06, F2239-06, F2483-05, F2279-06, and F2295-06.

Can you help??

Last edited:
The first RV-12 was cetified by MIDO and was certified as a Special to proof the kit or (original). Ship number 002 is the first Experimental or (recurrent) certification by a FSDO. Both come with a statement of compliance -15, but they read different and call out different ASTM standards. FAR 21.193 covers the certification requirements for Kits.

What is being referred to here is that the first Experimental Light-Sport RV-12 was licensed by a DAR on 7/21/2009. It is serial number 12003. The confusion comes from the fact that it has the same N number as RV-12 s/n 1. It is a totally different aircraft built from as ELSA kit and was not a "recurrent" certification.

My concern is the FAA Form 8130-15 certification statement is incorrect for E-LSA aircraft ONLY. I have the extra benefit to look at all certification packages, so in this case I am just alerting builders to look for the correct sign offs as it may be a problem. In the case I am working it is a problem, but we have a handle on it to fix it and Vans will correct all the ones shipped incorrectly.

Just a little information about Kit built aircraft under CFR 21.193. The first aircraft certification is always performed by MIDO as a Special. After ship 001, that are considered original because MIDO only does original certification, then the FSDO or DARs can perform the E-LSA always as "recurrent" certification so don't let the terminology throw anyone.

Just a little information about Kit built aircraft under CFR 21.193. The first aircraft certification is always performed by MIDO as a Special. After ship 001, that are considered original because MIDO only does original certification, then the FSDO or DARs can perform the E-LSA always as "recurrent" certification so don't let the terminology throw anyone.

Not meaning to argue...just clarify.

The very first RV-12 built by Van's aircraft (painted yellow) was first certificated in the research and development category. It was certificated as serial #1 reg. N912VA. After flight testing it was re certificated in the market survey category.

The second RV-12 built (serial #2, N412RV, painted red) also started out in the research and development category while it proved compliance with the S-LSA ASTM's and was just recently re certificated as an S-LSA aircraft by a FSDO office under the direction of the Seattle MIDO.

The third RV-12 to be certificated is the one detailed on this page. http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/flights2.htm It is painted Blue and was certificated by a DAR in Maryland.

It is certificated as an E-LSA and uses the registration number that was originally assigned to serial # 1 (the yellow prototype) which has since been retired and dismantled and its registration and airworthiness surrendered to the FAA. Both the red S-LSA prototype and the blue E-LSA demonstrator are owned by Van's Aircraft

Back