What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Build Time

aallard

I have a generic question about building the RV-12. Van's says the build time averages 700-900 hours. From each sub-kit perspective, how do they relate to one another in terms of time to complete?

My empennage kit was delivered on 1/31/13 (a little over 2 weeks ago), and I finished it last weekend. My build time was 93 hours and I only worked on it during evenings and weekends. My wife is building it with me, so I guess technically there were just under 200 hours put into the effort during that time frame.

I'm just wondering how the empennage kit relates to the other kits in terms of effort?

From other builder's figures I've seen, the empenage kit seems to take about 10%-12% of the total build time. I'm not finished yet but I think that number will be about right. However, it will take me about 50% longer than Van's figures to complete.

I'm up to just over 1200 hrs already with engine plumbing, avionics installation and odds and ends like lights, some extra instruments and wheel pants to go. Most builders seem to do it much faster. I'd like to think that outstanding workmanship takes time, but I suspect that I'm just plain slow. :rolleyes:

... Oh yeah, I forgot cowls, prop and spinner, attaching the tail cone, and some controls ... I'm sure I'll finish one day though. :)

Last edited:
I think it depends on previous build experience and your shop. My 12 took 750 hrs, but it was my 4th home built and put together in a 40 X 80 hangar shop with a complete set of shop tools. Working in a garage with the bare basics could easily add 250 hours to the build.

I think it depends on previous build experience and your shop. My 12 took 750 hrs, but it was my 4th home built and put together in a 40 X 80 hangar shop with a complete set of shop tools. Working in a garage with the bare basics could easily add 250 hours to the build.

I agree. Experience counts and the amount of preparation and priming you decide to do can add a lot of hours too.

Empennage - really fast. Wings - fast, faster than you will think. Fuselage - slow, lots to do there, but a LOT of fun. Canopy - slow because if you are a first timer you will be scared to death of it and the fiberglass layup. Engine: medium, lots of fiddly bits. Avionics - easy.

Build time

My total build time was 895 hours. I agree that experience has a lot to do with it. My background:12 years as a avionics tech previos to that I spent 30 years as a service tech (Customer Engineer) with IBM. At one point in my career with IBM I wrote and edited service manuals I think this was the biggest help. Recommendation: read and then reread the Van's manual and make sure you undertand the instructions. There is a lot of help available don't be think twice about talking to someone.
I now have 45hrs of flight time on N12XK.

The emp goes together pretty quickly. I did mine in a month approx. The wing kit is taking me at least 2-3x as long, probably due to holidays (it was delivered mid-dec), more job stuff taking my time, and a few common mistakes (even though I was well informed by the previous folks on here).

Plus a cold snap in PHX (50 degree highs....shivvver) for a couple of weeks in Jan slowed me down a bit). I am being pretty anal in deburring and prepping ribs using dawn solution, MEK and SEM primer. So that slows you down a lot too. I hope to have the left wing done this week (lighting kit as well) Feb 24...hopefully the right wing will go faster as all the ribs have been prepped already. I have a fuselage kit being delivered in March.

Cold Snap

Would love to have your cold snap here in southern Ohio. Was twenty degrees at the hangar last night. Torpedo heater kept us kinda warm. Working on the Bender heater modification.

Good for you - -

It really works well. Just watch your CHT's, and you will like it. I have found in say 20 - 25 degrees F, if you run CHT's to about 210, it warms well. Still need to get canopy sealed well also.

Heater mod

John, Does the aluminum flap just rotate on the two washers riveted together on the bottom?

Back