What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Basket Case Repair-Question for Mel

MartySantic

Well Known Member
If I purchased a RV-12 basket case from another individual, could I obtain a repairmans certificate for the originally certified E-LSA? If I rebuilt the RV-12, can it still be re-registered as an E-LSA or is some other re-registration required? I would think, another Phase I period would be required? Could I sign off the major repairs or would an A&P or A&P/IA have to sign off the major repairs before re-certification?

Curious.

If I purchased a RV-12 basket case from another individual, could I obtain a repairmans certificate for the originally certified E-LSA? If I rebuilt the RV-12, can it still be re-registered as an E-LSA or is some other re-registration required? I would think, another Phase I period would be required? Could I sign off the major repairs or would an A&P or A&P/IA have to sign off the major repairs before re-certification?
Curious.

You can transfer the aircraft registration into your name. You will need a bill of sale from the original owner. Vans Aircraft Inc will always be the "builder".

There would be no "re-certification". You would simply be buying the aircraft and repairing it.

You can obtain the repairman certificate allowing you to perform the annual condition inspection on any E-LSA that you own by completing a 16 hr. course and applying for the certificate.
If you already have a repairman certificate for an E-LSA, airplane, you can have the new RV-12 listed on your certificate without retaking the class.

Anyone can sign off major repairs to an experimental light-sport aircraft. No A&P or IA required.

Last edited:
The repairmans certificate you have for your -12 wound allow you to complete the condition inspection or repair ANY RV-12 you own.

It is not manditory you notify Vans, but they keep track of owners and serial numbers so they can notify you for SB's.

Yes, you can rebuild it, repair it, fix it, work on it, fly it, pee on it. It is your airplane.

Anyone can rebuild or work on any experimental aircraft including Elsa. The repairman's certificate allows you to perform condition inspection on planes you own.

No A&P is required, no AI is required.

Last edited:
Now I wonder what RV12 we are talking about!

Gee what a coincidence, I was just thinking the same thing.;) I bet I could guess where this basket case is. :rolleyes: I hate seeing a good plane go to waste. :D

Originally Posted by Geico266
The repairmans certificate you have for your -12 wound allow you to repair ANY RV-12.
Do not think so. Look at your certificate. It specifically lists your RV-12 by N-Number.
After you purchase the RV-12 E-LSA, it can be added to your certificate. Just make sure that the aircraft is registered as E-LSA and not E-AB. Your certificate does not allow you to do the annual condition inspection on an E-AB. Regardless of how the aircraft is registered, you can still repair and rebuild the plane. But it would have to be inspected by an A&P if registered as E-AB. The only issue here is who is allowed to do the annual condition inspection. Anyone can work on, repair, or rebuild an experimental aircraft, no matter if E-AB or E-LSA.
Joe Gores

Where is the Sand Man!

Personally I was dreaming about RV12 Accessories during my class.:p

Back