What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 12 Baggage Area Dimensions

mmahony1

Does anyone have the dimensions of the baggage area of the original RV12 handy? I’m heading to buy a tote on the way to the airfield but I forgot to measure when I was out at the plane yesterday. I tried googling for it but came up empty.

I don’t have the measurements handy but the most difficult part of putting something back there is the height of the bag or tote. You need to pull the seats forward an pass the tote in the middle of the fuselage over the fuel tank and then move it to the side of the tank. That is the tricky part so make sure the tote isn’t too high to make it difficult to pass through that area.

Coincidentally I measured this last week. Not handy since it’s for the iS model but 36.5”Wx16”Hx17”D gets you from tank to rear bulkhead and floor up to level with the longeron before the curve in the fuse starts. Figured I’d post in case someone with the iS was curious.

Coincidentally I measured this last week. Not handy since it’s for the iS model but 36.5”Wx16”Hx17”D gets you from tank to rear bulkhead and floor up to level with the longeron before the curve in the fuse starts. Figured I’d post in case someone with the iS was curious.

Not intending to hijack the thread but this may be a question the original poster and those with the legacy -12 have, as well.

I have been trying to figure out a location to put D-rings or ANYTHING (simple hole for bungee strap hook, etc.) to be able to put a bungee net over the cargo. Has anyone found a solution for this?

Last edited:
RV 12 baggage area

I don’t remember the measurements but will measure this afternoon. I think Van’s sell a d-ring set up for the other RV’s. I bought a small cargo net at Harbor Freight and hooked it to some heaven zip tie’s into the upper seat belt attachments and then stretch it over the baggage and hook it into the cross over that the seats lean on. Make’s me feel like things won’t come flying ahead if I had a bad day.

Back