What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Backup Steam Gauge Static Air Question

John-G

Well Known Member
A question for those RV-12 builders who have installed a backup airspeed indicator and/or altimeter. What route did you find best for running the static air line from the empennage to the front panel?

Plan to install a backup air speed indicator and most likely an altimeter as well. About to start assembling the fuselage and thought it would be a good idea to map out the route for static air now rather than later.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

I ran my static line from the panel through the centre tunnel to the front seat bulkhead, turned right and then back under the passenger seat and continued through to the rear, running parallel to the tunnel on the right hand side. Made the Tee connection close to the right hand static port. Drilled an extra hole in each of the bulkheads and put in snap bushings. Made sure I kept clear of the control cables Needed a 12" long drill for a couple of the holes. Access was restricted, but it was do-able. The J stiffener on the right side of the rear fuselage already had holes for zip ties in it, which was handy.

Is there a reason you don't just T into the existing static line behind the instrument panel? I have the D180/D100 combo that does this. Maybe the Skyview static line terminates in the ADHRS box behind the bulkhead.

...Maybe the Skyview static line terminates in the ADHRS box behind the bulkhead.

Exactly the problem with the SkyView. The static, pitot, and AoA lines all have to route to the ADHRS box.

When I had the D100 in my panel, it was simple to "T" off of it to the AS and altimeter but when I replaced that with the SkyView in my -9, I had to drill up the floor and route the Pitot and AoA back into the tail cone. That is one reason I elected to remove the steam gauges. That and I had enough faith in Dynon's equipment that I no longer felt the need for the steam gauges.

Back