What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Australian certification

McSteff

Guys, appreciate your help on the following question that I have in order to fly in Australia:

1) I appreciate any advice (Pros and Cons) on whether to register as LSA or E-AB in Australia.

2) Can I register the aircraft with a VH call sign?

3)There seem to be restrictions around flying at night, over populated areas and into Class D airspace / control zone (i.e. Jandakot / Perth). Appreciate any comments on this topic.

Thanks for any advice from the RV'ators in Down Under.

Cheers

S

You can do either, but if you build E-LSA with VH reg. you can't maintain the aircraft yourself because the CASA exemption applies to AB(E). However, you can maintain it if you register it with RAA-AUS as a 24-xxxx aircraft. Most of those currently flying have registered with RAA, but there are at least two being built in Perth that will be VH registered. If you have a PPL, then Class D won't be a problem. If you have an RAA Certificate then Class D is out. Night flying should be OK with a PPL, even though the RV-12 is intended to be day VFR. Flying over populated areas is no problem. Send me a PM if you like. I'd be happy to show you my project.

Last edited:
I agree with all Rob has said. If you have a PPL, then the the best move is to build the RV 12 as Experimental Amateur Built. That way you can make any changes you want, such as adding stand-by instruments, and you can maintain it yourself. There will be no restriction on flying into CTA as long as you are appropriately qualified.

Join SAAA - see saaa.com - and you will receive help with the issue of the C of A.

There seems to be no advantage to E-LSA over EAB in Australia.

PM Rob or myself and we'll be happy to help.

Last edited:
E-AB

You can do either, but if you build E-LSA with VH reg. you can't maintain the aircraft yourself because the CASA exemption applies to AB(E). However, you can maintain it if you register it with RAA-AUS as a 24-xxxx aircraft. Most of those currently flying have registered with RAA, but there are at least two being built in Perth that will be VH registered. If you have a PPL, then Class D won't be a problem. If you have an RAA Certificate then Class D is out. Night flying should be OK with a PPL, even though the RV-12 is intended to be day VFR. Flying over populated areas is no problem. Send me a PM if you like. I'd be happy to show you my project.

Thanks for a prompt response. One follow up question: If I choose E-AB, do I have the option of then registering with either CASA or RAA, so registering my AB with CASA would give me a VH callsign, reistering with RAA would give me a 24-XXXX callsign? If that's correct, can I do owner maintenace under both scenarios? Are there cost advantages under RAA? Again, thanks for any advice out there.

Thanks for a prompt response. One follow up question: If I choose E-AB, do I have the option of then registering with either CASA or RAA, so registering my AB with CASA would give me a VH callsign, reistering with RAA would give me a 24-XXXX callsign? If that's correct, can I do owner maintenace under both scenarios? Are there cost advantages under RAA? Again, thanks for any advice out there.

Registering E-AB will allow you to do the maintenance under either system and the call sign will be VH or 24- as appropriate. I don't know what the costs are. I think RAA has an annual registration fee, and VH doesn't but don't quote me on that. If you have a PPL, I'm pretty sure you need to get an RAA Certificate as well to fly the 24 reg aircraft. You can't fly the VH aircraft unless you have a PPL. You can fly the 24 reg aircraft into controlled airspace if you have a PPL and the aircraft is suitably equipped. Same aircraft - different rules. Suggest you call RAA to to confirm their requirements. Mine will be VH, so I'm less familiar with RAA.

Last edited:
RAA will charge you an annual membership fee and annual aircraft registration fee. That fee includes some third party insurance cover. If you become unfinancial with RAA for any reason, your registration, insurance and pilot certificate lapse.

If you have a PPL but want an RAA certificate, you need to do a conversion course of around 5 hours.

VH registration will not incur any annual fees, however if you choose to build within SAAA to benefit from the Technical Counsellors, Authorised persons and Chapter support network, you will pay an annual membership fee. CASA does not charge annual registration fees. If you go VH, and want to maintain the aircraft yourself, you will have to complete a Maintenance Procedures Course. Currently SAAA is the only provider of that course. Cost for the course is dependent on length of membership, so if you decide to go that way, join SAAA early in your project.

In the past the main attraction of RAA was the reduced medical requirement - you can self certify that you are fit to fly as long as you hold a driver's licence. However, CASA has very recently introduced a similar standard for PPL. You can't self certify - you do have to go to your GP and get the equivalent of a driver's licence medical, but you can use that to access CTA, which RAA pilots can't.

I hope that helps!

Back