What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 as E-AB

Mel

Legacy Member
Mentor
Heads up to all who are planning to build an RV-12 as an experimental amateur-built aircraft. Be sure to get and read a copy of AC 20-27G dated 9/30/2009.
Figure 2 on page 6 contains a flow chart concerning certification policy.

If you purchased your kit prior to 9/30/2009, AND you received NO commercial assistance, you are to use the old policy. i.e. Form 8000-38 to determine major portion.

If the kit was purchased AFTER 9/30/2009 OR you received commercial assistance, you must use the new policy. i.e. Amateur-Built Aircraft Fabrication and Assembly Checklist (2009) to determine major portion.
The new form is more difficult to pass because it contains more "fabrication" items.

Appendix 8 of the AC contains the new form. I have not yet tried the new list to see if the RV-12 will pass.

Commercial Assistance?

Just curious ... Is there a formal definition for "commercial assistance" ?

I plan on building my RV-12 myself ... but I also realize the engine comes partially assembled ... the skins come pre-punched, bent, formed, etc.... Are these "kit" activities accomplished by Van's considered "commercial assistance"?

... or is "commercial assistance" when I hire someone to perform the actual assembly for me?

commercial assistance =

commercial assistance is by definition not what you receive from the kit manufacture, IE Van's. It is what you pay someone, like my self, to complete for you. Say you hire me to do the canopy and you don't participate, and you don't learn anything. therefor you should check that part of the build off as being done by a pro builder.

Question is, what if I build my own?:rolleyes:

Noel

Back