What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Accident - Waldport, Oregon

NASA515

Well Known Member
While cruising the NTSB database, I came across this accident - have not seen it noted elsewhere on the Forum after a search.

NTSB Identification: WPR13LA174
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Incident occurred Saturday, March 30, 2013 in Waldport, OR
Aircraft: VANS RV12, registration: N572LS
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors.

On March 30, 2013 about 1130 Pacific daylight time, a Van?s Aircraft RV12, experimental light sport airplane, N572LS, experienced a nose landing gear fork separation while landing at the Wakonda Beach State Airport, Waldport, Oregon. The pilot, who was also the registered owner of the airplane, was not injured. The pilot operated the airplane under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 as a personal flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed. The flight originated from Lenhardt Airpark, Hubbard, Oregon, at 1045.

The pilot reported that he was conducting a landing to a full stop. During the landing roll, as the nose wheel contacted the grass runway surface, it tucked under the airplane and separated. The airplane came to rest on the runway leaving a long groove in the runway surface. The propeller and the nose landing gear assembly sustained substantial damage.

Bob Bogash
N737G

With the airplanes home base less than 5 miles away, Van's has had an opportunity to inspect the airplane, and has worked with the local FAA in analyzing the flight data from the D-180.
I believe the information gathered will allow for a clearly defined cause when the final NTSB report is issued.

An observation: There's no mention of it going over on its back when the nosegear failed. I wonder if the pilot was just lucky that he wasn't going fast enough, or whether there's something about the -12 design that makes it less prone to tip-over in this instance?

I lost a tail wheel in a pothole on a rough runway on my first home built. Since then I stick to smooth concrete!

Back