What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 ZIP TIP III

Blizzard

Well Known Member
Just received my ZIP TIP III tips from AVEO. So far have done nothing but look at them since I don't have the outboard bottom skins on yet. The skins of course extend out 1/2 inch with the holes for the tip attachment along that edge. The flange on the tips of the Van's and the Zips are both aprox. 1 5/16 in wide. That seems to be a lot material that needs to be removed to get it to fit. Am I missing something? Wondering why they mold them with that much excess flange? Also after reading numerous threads on the ZIP TIP III's possibly not fitting properly at the trailing edge, I'm afraid to do anything to them in case I need to send them back! Thanks.

Nice!! Thanks for the tip. The last two pix show the fiberglass tip rib that Aveo is sending with the tips and a picture of the leading edge of the tips showing the gap from the lighting assembly. Haven't really figured out how to deal with either one.

Attachments

• 4004.jpg
    4004.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 6006.jpg
    6006.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 1001.jpg
    1001.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 3003.jpg
    3003.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 160
  • 2002.jpg
    2002.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 155
I used #6 flush head screws and nutplates to attach the stock wingtips. You end up trimming the wingtip edge down to a tad bit less than the skin overhang. Just enough so the wingtip insertion is not touching the end wing rib. What's left is just enough to attach the nutplates to. Dimpling the wing skins for the screws is fun too. I think I had to grind on a set of dimple dies to keep from impacting the wing rib when dimpling.

Here's a few pics that show the initial scribe line I cut to and the only one I could find showing what is left afterwards.

Attachments

• IMG_6145.jpg
    IMG_6145.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_6140.jpg
    IMG_6140.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 114
I think I have been working on my tips for the last month!!! But, most of that has been on the stupid lenses. I thought about ordering the Cee-Bailey lenses more than once in the process...but, I have a problem with not giving in.

Yes, you cut a whole bunch off from that flange. Only reason why it is so wide that I can think of is that another model uses the same tips and has a wider flange at the end of the wing??? I cut mine a bit wide, then sanded it down to where I needed it. This took a bit longer but this was my first fiberglass work and I was a little scared of screwing this up!

Back