What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Windshield Crazing

n700jl

Well Known Member
Glued the windshield in yesterday and pulled the tape today and found some minor crazing at the glue line. See picture here http://picasaweb.google.com/118173384691973597106/RV10Crazing?authkey=Gv1sRgCJj4louqwbevBw#5524567809449557922

If this has happened to you I want to hear from you.
Did you just paint over it? Can you tell now that the plane is done.
Did you rip it ou and start over?
I only used duct tape and foam blocks to help hold the window down. No mechanical clamps were used!
Thanks for you input!

Jon,
That looks like voids (aka bubbles) to me and not crazing (actual fine cracks in the plexiglass). What adhesive did you use?

Todd,
Thanks for the reply! I am pretty sure it is crazing beacause when you shine a light on the window it cast a shadow on the glue. If you move the light to the other side the shadow moves. I did call Van's Tech support and they said that this is common! and that it would not go any farther! I hope they are right! I did use the Weld-On 10!

Looks like bubbles to me too. The weld-on does tend to outgas if it's thick. I actually had a cupful explode on the bench while curing.

Hard to tell from the pic.
I had a couple of spots with a bit of crazing.
Looked like a fine tangle of spider webs.
Mine were on the flange and did not propagate into the window.
I did not worry about it.

Back